Sonex High Wing!

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Sonex High Wing!

Postby Matt541 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:31 pm

Stu AI7AN wrote:This High Wing design looks like a home run! Was strongly considering acquiring a Sonex kit within the next 12 months, but will I now decide to wait? Tempting, because I REALLY prefer high wing, particularly when it has a green house window above. I may not be quite that patient, but it remains tempting.

My PLEA to Sonex would be to make weight allowance for the Corvair power plant. I would still likely respectfully pursue it regardless in whatever version I wind up with, but this would be the perfect opportunity to incorporate the ability to do so with factory blessing. For my preferences this High Wing would seem to be as close to experimental perfection as could possibly be achieved.

Stu (N. Central Idaho)

Based on my conversation with Mark, I wouldn't hold your breath on a factory approved installation of the Corvair engine in this variant or smaller Sonex aircraft. In the future, who knows? I certainly don't.

That being said, others have done it, and you'll have to do your own research and development on that with the High Wing. My opinion (worth WAY less than $0.02) is that it would be an even better platform for one. (This coming from someone who may have some Corvair engine parts in the hangar right now... Honestly have no idea what I'd do with them yet.)
Sonex 541, TD, Center Stick, Revmaster w/ Prince P <SOLD>
:arrow: Anxiously awaiting the new Highwing
Matt541

Postby Matt541 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:35 pm

GraemeSmith wrote:In all the "what if'ing" and "wishes" - remember it has to make the current LSA limits of:

Maximum stall speed - 40knots
Maximum speed - 120 knots
Maximum Gross - 1320lbs.

And while there are interminable press articles about new bigger weight limits "just around the corner" with new LSA specifications - they have been "just around the corners" for quite a few years and counting.

So I'm not surprised that Sonex are aiming at 1,320lbs at this time.

Note the minimum hp of 100 - needed to get the power loading into an acceptable spot with that 1,320 maximum gross.

100% CORRECT Graeme, I wish I could highlight/ sticky/ etc. your post. Mark was clear that the High Wing wasn't being developed for potential future specs.

Just fun to dream sometimes...
Sonex 541, TD, Center Stick, Revmaster w/ Prince P <SOLD>
:arrow: Anxiously awaiting the new Highwing
Matt541

Postby daleandee » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:36 pm

Matt541 wrote:
Stu AI7AN wrote:My PLEA to Sonex would be to make weight allowance for the Corvair power plant. I would still likely respectfully pursue it regardless in whatever version I wind up with, but this would be the perfect opportunity to incorporate the ability to do so with factory blessing.

Based on my conversation with Mark, I wouldn't hold your breath on a factory approved installation of the Corvair engine in this variant or smaller Sonex aircraft.

I love the idea of a high wing Sonex and as I get older access would be much easier for me. More room and more fuel is a bonus and I've wondered what my next build might be. This one has my interest.

I have Corvair power now and (as many of you are already aware) I truly think this is the best engine choice available. I do not mean to be negative but just to be truthful when I tell you that the word Corvair is verboten anywhere near the Sonex facility. Sonex is never gonna endorse the Corvair engine on any airframe they design. It's just not gonna happen and I'm OK with that. Even if it were possible (it's not) they will never supply a mount for it so that will make the install even harder to do.

Having said all of that ... if I were to build a high wing Sonex it would have Corvair power.
daleandee

Postby DCASonex » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:30 am

Some aircraft kit manufacturers offer the option of LSA legal and slightly higher weights and speeds for those who have full license and medical. might be an option here ?

David A.
DCASonex

Postby Scott Todd » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:32 am

As the official manufacturer, you can build it any way you like.
Scott Todd

Postby Eric W » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:22 pm

Ok, this announcement got me to find this forum. I plans built a Sonex TD / 3300 in 2005-2008, flew it for about 4 years, and moved on. Now I'm more interested in the easier getting in/out aspect of a high wing, and greater headroom sounds good as well. While we're making our preferences known, I'd rather not carry the weight (or pay for) extra wing removal features. For me, the under 8' width would be great for the one time I bring it from where I'd build it to the airport. After that, wing quick removal is just added weight & cost I don't need. So if you're looking at the bulkheads and paddles like the Onex, a longer pushrod / delete paddles option would be my preference.

I haven't kept up with the LSA proposals, but at this point, I'd consider one of the UL350's and a cruise prop, operate w/ Basic Med if needed and not worry about the current LSA speed limitation.

There's definitely a market for high wings that aren't STOL.
Sonex 815, TD, dual stick (sold in 2013)
Jabiru 3300
Eric W

Postby fastj22 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:54 pm

Eric W wrote:Ok, this announcement got me to find this forum. I plans built a Sonex TD / 3300 in 2005-2008, flew it for about 4 years, and moved on. Now I'm more interested in the easier getting in/out aspect of a high wing, and greater headroom sounds good as well. While we're making our preferences known, I'd rather not carry the weight (or pay for) extra wing removal features. For me, the under 8' width would be great for the one time I bring it from where I'd build it to the airport. After that, wing quick removal is just added weight & cost I don't need. So if you're looking at the bulkheads and paddles like the Onex, a longer pushrod / delete paddles option would be my preference.

I haven't kept up with the LSA proposals, but at this point, I'd consider one of the UL350's and a cruise prop, operate w/ Basic Med if needed and not worry about the current LSA speed limitation.

There's definitely a market for high wings that aren't STOL.

Good points. There should be an option to build without removable wings if the builder decides to.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby AstroAussie » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:35 pm

DCASonex wrote:Better ground visibility might be a real benefit in avoiding cleaning the interior. When taking someone on a local flight here, I used to fly over the falls at local state park and to provide a better view would tip the plane to put a wing down and then slip to hold in that position. Had two passengers loose their lunch when doing that.
As to fitting 29" bush wheels, that would make it a swamp buggy with wings.

David A.

have some sort of contraption that removes the wheels and you can pull them into the cabin during flight and have a 5 point harness to put them back on before landing lol.
AstroAussie

Postby GraemeSmith » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:17 am

Or get someone to come and put them on for you

Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby 509sx » Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:10 pm

Perhaps a good idea to provide for cabin heat, and to strengthen the landing gear!
509sx

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion