Sonex High Wing!

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Sonex High Wing!

Postby DCASonex » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:21 am

Better ground visibility might be a real benefit in avoiding cleaning the interior. When taking someone on a local flight here, I used to fly over the falls at local state park and to provide a better view would tip the plane to put a wing down and then slip to hold in that position. Had two passengers loose their lunch when doing that.
As to fitting 29" bush wheels, that would make it a swamp buggy with wings.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby builderflyer » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:47 am

If I'm ever to build another Sonex product, this high wing version would be it. It checks all the boxes for me. I only hope it becomes available while I'm still flying and have the energy to tackle a new project. But I'm only two years older than John Monnett and I guess if he can do it, so can I.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,..Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby 214NTX » Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:07 pm

Two airplanes I've always admired- the Wittman Tailwind and the Sonex. Not too long ago, I looked at a W-10 Tailwind for sale, but it was just too cramped inside for me. And I'm not a big guy. 5'-11" and 185 lbs. I owned a Sonex for a short time, but it was also a bit on the small side on leg room for me, and about the same shoulder room as the Tailwind. Just too tight for two average size guys.
So, I am thrilled to see Sonex developing the high wing finally and with more room, fuel, and full LSA gross weight among a lot of other nice features.

I will be following this one closely, and hope the stars will align for me to have a shot at building one.
If I had any input to Sonex Aircraft, I would suggest putting that 2 seat jet on the back burner ( no pun intended ) and get this baby prototyped and flying ASAP.
First customer, right here !!

Art S.
former owner, N214SX.

P.S. Shout Out to Peter Anson !!!! Love your products and thank you so much for the custom tailwheel parts for my CGS Hawk. It works beautiful on grass now.
214NTX

Postby mhamilton31 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:14 pm

I was looking at starting a Waiex project next year but I think I’m going to place that on hold and wait for the high wing. I too feel Sonex should place the 2 seat jet on hold for the high wing. Maybe I’m missing something but I would think the demand for the high wing would be greater than the jet??
mhamilton31

Postby Matt541 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:50 am

mhamilton31 wrote:I was looking at starting a Waiex project next year but I think I’m going to place that on hold and wait for the high wing. I too feel Sonex should place the 2 seat jet on hold for the high wing. Maybe I’m missing something but I would think the demand for the high wing would be greater than the jet??

As much as I would like to see that happen too, Mark was clear that the 2 place jet is coming out before the high wing for multiple reasons.

I may have some videos coming out shortly on that and more... (Thanks Mark!)

IMG_20210826_004420991_3.jpg
Burning the midnight oil...
Sonex 541, TD, Center Stick, Revmaster w/ Prince P <SOLD>
:arrow: Anxiously awaiting the new Highwing
Matt541

Postby fastj22 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:25 am

looking at the new pix, there's a wing seam just outboard of the fuselage about where the onex joint is. I bet that's where the panels come off. Now will Sonex do the right thing and make it simple and toolless to detach them? Or will it take 2 men and a boy to pull them? I'm thinking a single lever like the onex to pull the pins and some sort of cart/dolly to hold and store the panel. Like this http://www.imi-gliding.com/products/one ... ystem.html

Automatic control hookups like the onex paddles.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby mhamilton31 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:56 pm

Matt541 wrote:As much as I would like to see that happen too, Mark was clear that the 2 place jet is coming out before the high wing for multiple reasons.

Interesting...Love your vids btw...
mhamilton31

Postby Matt541 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:44 pm

As promised here's Part 1 of a bunch more after a VERY good conversation with Mark Schaible yesterday. Naturally, this is one is on the High Wing:

Matt541

Postby Matt541 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:49 pm

mhamilton31 wrote:
Matt541 wrote:As much as I would like to see that happen too, Mark was clear that the 2 place jet is coming out before the high wing for multiple reasons.

Interesting...Love your vids btw...

Thanks! I've been trying to put a lot more effort into them lately.

fastj22 wrote:looking at the new pix, there's a wing seam just outboard of the fuselage about where the onex joint is. I bet that's where the panels come off. Now will Sonex do the right thing and make it simple and toolless to detach them? Or will it take 2 men and a boy to pull them? I'm thinking a single lever like the onex to pull the pins and some sort of cart/dolly to hold and store the panel. Like this http://www.imi-gliding.com/products/one ... ystem.html

Automatic control hookups like the onex paddles.

I hope this at least partially answered your question on the wing sections @20:30.
Matt541

Postby WesRagle » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:35 pm

Thanks Matt,

That was a great video. And thanks Mark for taking time out to answer some questions.

Wes

P.S. Maybe a little more pitch stability for a touring machine.?.?
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion