Sonex High Wing!

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Sonex High Wing!

Postby lpaaruule » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:50 am

It's nice that the gross weight is going to be 1320 lbs. Had the B model had an increase in gross weight like this, I likely would have converted my A model.

If I didn't have a Sonex A model already, I'd strongly consider the Sonex High wing, but I'm not going to sell and take a 30+% loss.

Hopefully Sonex will get a lot of new customers.
Paul LaRue
Sonex N454EE Plans# 1509
Jabiru 3300
First Flight 12/21/2017
http://www.mykitlog.com/lpaaruule
lpaaruule

Postby dtwolcott » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:05 am

I realize that the high wing is not as sexy as the current design but neither am I at 77 and the high wing would provide a better entry and exit for us old guys no matter how it looks.
Don
Waiex 132 N132YX
3MY
dtwolcott

Postby Sonerai13 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:59 am

We originally started discussing a high-wing airplane when I was still working at Sonex, so that puts the "seed planting" for this airplane somewhere around 2016(ish). At that time there were just too many other irons in the fire to pursue the project. I'm happy to see that the idea didn't die, as I think this will be a popular plane. The drawings look much like the conceptual ideas we talked about back at that time. Congrats to all the folks at Sonex for finally hitting the go switch on this one!
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Postby WesRagle » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:03 am

HI Guys,

I think it would be nice to have a Sonex more suitable for touring. With the increased gross weight, increased fuel capacity, ease of boarding, and better downward visibility it seems this Sonex could comfortably fill that niche.

At the risk of being charged with heresy, it would be nice if the design team could push the handling characteristics as close to RV handling as possible. I used to own an RV-6A and flying it was down right relaxing compared to a Sonex. Much nicer for X-country flying.

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby fastj22 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:17 pm

I think its going to be a hit. I'd like to know more about the removable wing tips to get it down to 89 inches of width. With a dolly like one man riggers sailplanes have, it could be a huge selling point for hangar space, like the Onex. Or maybe do drop folding tips.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby Matt541 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:12 pm

N111YX wrote:Wow. I had to look at the calendar to see if was April 1st!

Cool.

If I didn't know better, I would've had to to as well. (Especially if Graeme posted it!)

Just kidding Graeme, I think Sonex should throw some freelance editing work your way. Had a good laugh!

lakespookie wrote:Awwww you think we still wont need to fit some some acryilic/plexi on that windshield/windows. Although it will probably be easier than the existing canopy.

Typed just like someone who has not fitted a legacy canopy.... LOL That's a job I don't ever want to have to do again.

I heard they improved the process on the B-models and actually don't make them with as much extra material as the legacy version. But the new design HAS to be much faster to fit.
Sonex 541, TD, Center Stick, Revmaster w/ Prince P <SOLD>
:arrow: Anxiously awaiting the new Highwing
Matt541

Postby Matt541 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:17 pm

As much as I love 541, I still want to build something some day. This is probably at the top of my list now....

To add to that, my wife has no interest in flying with me in the Sonex and prefers high wings in general. Happy wife, happy life right?
Sonex 541, TD, Center Stick, Revmaster w/ Prince P <SOLD>
:arrow: Anxiously awaiting the new Highwing
Matt541

Postby fastj22 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:59 pm

Even though Sonex has stated they are not trying to make this a STOL backcountry flyer, you know meatheads like me will make so. 29 inch Alaska Bushwheels baby!
https://www.airframesalaska.com/Alaskan ... 136.r1.htm

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby rauburg » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:38 pm

Just sold our Xenos N5234 last weekend and thought that I was leaving the Sonex world. I have always admired the Tailwind though and have known that it exceeded my building abilities. The high wing hit me hard. I like everything about it and love the looks and appreciate the extra fuel capacity.

I hope that the specs have some wiggle room in them. By that, I hope that as when (if) the new LSA/PLA rules are adopted that this design can grow with them. I had heard that the new rules would be adopted in April 2022. But based on past discussions, I can see that it won't be that soon. What I would like to see is the ability for the new plane to grow to include a small Continental or Lycoming engine, possibly more fuel, and even more so, a greater gross weight. Maybe not a huge increase, but enough to meet my other wishes.

RAndy

I for one will watch this one closely. Only problem is I am 70 now and hope that things come together before I get too old to go this route.
rauburg

Postby GraemeSmith » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:48 am

peter anson wrote:High wings? Bah! I like to be able to see where I'm going when I make a turn.
Peter

Just lift the wing for a moment for a peek before you turn into it. :-)

Think of the easier photo opportunities below you.
And how much easier it will be to scan final for traffic while on base.

--

Actually - it looks like Sonex MIGHT be aiming to do a well sloped windscreen like the Cessna Cardinal that was specifically set up to allow you to see into the turn.

Pros and cons to both.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion