Backcountry Sonex?

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Backcountry Sonex?

Postby fastj22 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:27 pm

With Vans moving into the backcountry with the RV15, anyone interested in suggesting Sonex come out with something? Prettier than a Zenith, cheaper than an RV15? Or does Zenith really have the market locked up?

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Re: Backcountry Sonex?

Postby ldmill » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:30 pm

John - Fully cantilevered high wing tail/nose dragger Waiex - I'd be interested. As I get older, I can tell getting in/out of the low wing is going to be more of a challenge at some point. I'm not a big guy, but creaky knees/shoulders/back (jumping out of planes in the Army) is starting to become more noticeable.
Lorin
ldmill

Postby Matt541 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:51 am

fastj22 wrote:With Vans moving into the backcountry with the RV15, anyone interested in suggesting Sonex come out with something? Prettier than a Zenith, cheaper than an RV15? Or does Zenith really have the market locked up?

I'd love to see what John could come up with, and I may be able to help prove it out in spots of Alaska. ;) (Baggage area would have to carry more than 40# to be viable up there...)

I'll also add, probably sturdier than a Zenith too. The point I always make to people is to just count the number of wing ribs on each, now which one do you think is stronger?

RANS has been a solid backcountry contender for a while, but the S-21 Outbound is really something. I think there's definitely room for a Sonex variant.
Sonex 541, TD, Center Stick, Revmaster w/ Prince P <SOLD>
:arrow: Anxiously awaiting the new Highwing
Matt541

Postby builderflyer » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:27 pm

At one of his forums last week, John Monnett showed a slide of strutless high wing version of the Sonex that he's been working towards over the past six years or so. But its design is expected to have Sonex like performance and will not be optimized for backcountry use. The profile view looked a lot like a Wittman Tailwind. The downside is that with all John has to do, it will still be a considerable time before anything additional is available for public consumption; but I did add myself to the unofficial group of builders who are much interested in this product, whenever it should be ready.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Return to General Discussion