Spar Dimples

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Spar Dimples

Postby mattputz » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:58 pm

Hi all - couple of questions about spar dimpling. First, I understand the best way to dimple for the driven rivets is to do the counter-sink in the underlying piece, then use the rivet head to create the dimple in the main web. Did you do the same thing with the flush screws? Just tighten the screw down such that it pulls the web into the counter-sink?

Second, were there any potholes associated with getting the counter-sink depth right? On the test piece I did, I counter-sunk a little deeper than I normally would have to allow for the extra material, but I'm just trying to figure out if there are indicators any of you discovered that told you your tolerances on that were getting out of range. Worried specifically about either trying to buck a flush rivet that's in a counter-sink too deep and ending up with it not being as tight as it should be, or on the other end just not having it counter-sunk deeply enough.

Thoughts?

Matt
Sonex #1585
mattputz

Re: Spar Dimples

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:36 pm

Matt,
I'm a big proponent of dimple dies and squeezers. They are the right tool for the job. Also to get the countersink depth right, do some trial runs in scrap. It should be deep enough that the dimpled sheetmetal is flush, but no deeper.

The purpose of the hobby is to buy tools.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Sonex1517 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:44 am

Bryan Cotton wrote:The purpose of the hobby is to buy tools.

I’ve taken to quoting this during my EAA Chapter build sessions. The kids love the phrase! (So do the adults!)
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
375+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby racaldwell » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:04 am

The financial cost of the project is pretty small compared to the time and labor commitment. Since I am not a professional (any of the aircraft building trades), my thinking is you should try to stack the odds in your favor the best you can to help ensure a good outcome. This definently includes using proper tools of good quality and the correct materials. Dimples and countersinks need the correct dies and countersinking cutters with microstops. How to squeeze the dimple dies depends on the application. Anything from rivet puller technique, hand squeezer, rivet gun set, C-frame, etc. all have their use in particular locations. The spar web would require the hand squeezer and possibly C-frame depending on what yokes you have for the hand squeezer.

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057
racaldwell

Postby bvolcko38 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:29 am

Spot on Mr Cadwell!
Bill Volcko XNS0068
Xenos A N68WV 99% flush rivets
Aerovee and Prince P-Tip
MGL Discovery Lite w/ Sandia STX 165R
V6
First hole 4/1/16
First flight 8/24/18
Phase I complete...finally!!!
Also flying a Challenger II since 1999
bvolcko38

Postby dbdevkc » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:08 am

racaldwell wrote:Dimples and countersinks need the correct dies and countersinking cutters with microstops.

Agreed - microstop countersink for adjusting to the exact depth and dimple dies for nice clean dimples with no tendency to crack. I think I did help the dimple for the screws by tapping the screw head with a dead blow.
[color=#800000]Kevin Conklin
Building Waiex #169
dbdevkc

Return to General Discussion