Error in Logbook

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Error in Logbook

Postby pilotyoung » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:54 pm

I bought a Sonex aircraft and there are three obvious errors in an initial airframe logbook entry. The weight, Vx, and Vy entries are obvious typos. The entry was made on a computer or typewriter on label material and put in the logbook. The same entries in the POH are correct where they were handwritten.

I am wondering the correct way to correct those entries in the logbook? Or should I just ignore them, fly the aircraft with the correct weight and speeds, and forget that I noticed there are wrong in the logbooks?

I am tempted to put a handwritten note next to the initial entry stating that it is an error and listing the correct values.

I will appreciate your thoughts on this issue.
pilotyoung

Re: Error in Logbook

Postby GordonTurner » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:58 pm

You should make a new logbook entry that lists the corrections. A note next to the original that it is superseded by entry on date XXXX is a good idea. Don't try to remove or make corrections directly to the original entry.
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby pilotyoung » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:59 pm

Thanks for the answer.
pilotyoung

Postby Sonerai13 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:49 am

Yep, I concur with Gordon. Make an entry correcting the info, but leave the original entry in place. The most current entry always takes precedence over anything prior.
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Return to General Discussion