Sonex Appraisal

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Sonex Appraisal

Postby mgros483 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:03 pm

Does anyone know of an aircraft appraiser that would be qualified to do a desk appraisal of a sonex?

I am the president of the local EAA chapter and we have someone interested in donating their sonex to our chapter, there are a few ways to do this to make it kosher with the IRS, but the easiest would be to get an appraisal to determine fair market value. This is easy for a certified aircraft, but I'm having a hard time finding someone for an E-AB.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! If this all works out I will be documenting the whole process to help other chapters that may have a similar opportunity.
mgros483

Re: Sonex Appraisal

Postby RCfly46 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:35 am

At our Chapter we take a different approach. We provide a letter acknowledging the donation and documenting our status as a 501(c)(3), but we do not state a value. We see that as a matter for the donor to determine, and then justify with the IRS if/when necessary.

You might check with EAA HQ for their viewpoint.
RCfly46

Re: Sonex Appraisal

Postby mgros483 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:05 am

Interesting approach. I didn't think that was an option, but if it is, that would be great. PM me if you are willing to share any more details, this is our first donation we are trying to navigate.
mgros483

Return to General Discussion