COVID lockdown

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: COVID lockdown

Postby builderflyer » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:47 pm

WesRagle wrote:So, if any of you guys with flying planes could fly over my house and drop some toilet paper I would appreciated it.

Wes

Wes, what is your address and would unrolled paper be ok?

Art
builderflyer

Postby XenosN42 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:09 pm

DCASonex wrote:Despite what has been called a stay home order, outdoor activities are still permitted in New York State so long as it is not in groups. Since I can enter the local airfield, pull out and fuel my Sonex without need to interface with anyone, about 5,000 ft. of vertical social distancing seems about right.

David A..

I live in one of the six counties in PA which is 'locked-down' and my plane is hangered in NJ which is all 'locked-down'. Despite that I've driven, by myself, to the airport and flown, by myself (it's a OneX, so no choice), and not come any where near anyother person.

I really wish the authorities would stop conflating 'stay home' with 'social distancing'. I can stay out all day and have absolutely no trouble avoiding being near another person.
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
author of the 'Flight Data Viewer'
XenosN42

Postby fastj22 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:17 pm

Rynoth wrote:Can one still ride a snowmobile in Colorado? If so, I’d think you could fly an airplane (while maintaining social distance of course.)

The Governor's order specifically states that all travel except for the purpose of traveling by car or public transportation to an essential business is prohibited. Pretty much covers any pleasure vehicles.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby Direct C51 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:41 pm

Is it really “travel” if you end up in the same place you started, and never made any stops?
Direct C51

Postby WesRagle » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:43 pm

Hi Art,

builderflyer wrote:
WesRagle wrote:So, if any of you guys with flying planes could fly over my house and drop some toilet paper I would appreciated it.

Wes

Wes, what is your address and would unrolled paper be ok?

Art

997 North Bend Rd
Weatherford Tx. 76085

Unrolled is fine if that is all I can get. But please, no second hand stuff.

EDIT: Art, hurry every chance you get. I think my need will soon be dire. My wife and daughter have decided that the best way to deal with this is to get festive. So, in that great southwest tradition, we are about to have stuffed jalapenos and some BEvERages.

Wes
Last edited by WesRagle on Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby fastj22 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:12 pm

Direct C51 wrote:Is it really “travel” if you end up in the same place you started, and never made any stops?

In this time of need, all of us need to show each other that the sacrifices are shared. Finding ways to justify our behavior to satisfy an itch.
In the immortal words of the wisest Vulcan, "The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few, or the one. Live long and prosper."

John Gillis
fastj22

Postby Direct C51 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:45 pm

fastj22 wrote:
Direct C51 wrote:Is it really “travel” if you end up in the same place you started, and never made any stops?

In this time of need, all of us need to show each other that the sacrifices are shared. Finding ways to justify our behavior to satisfy an itch.
In the immortal words of the wisest Vulcan, "The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few, or the one. Live long and prosper."

Sorry John, I have way too much invested in the freedoms of our country to just throw them away like you are suggesting. I am following the rules. I’m not coming within 6 feet of anyone. I’m not posing any danger whatsoever to myself or others.

In the immortal words of me, “a little common sense goes a long ways.”
Direct C51

Postby dbdevkc » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:11 am

XenosN42 wrote:I really wish the authorities would stop conflating 'stay home' with 'social distancing'. I can stay out all day and have absolutely no trouble avoiding being near another person.

Agreed. No one can seem to explain to me how I could possibly endanger anyone, or infect anyone by taking my car our for a joy ride. And yet, authorities will assume my "guilt" of being out and planning to do something that will bring me in contact with others. We all should be doing the right thing by others, but enforcing a "stay at home" declaration by having police pulling over vehicles seems draconian.
[color=#800000]Kevin Conklin
Building Waiex #169
dbdevkc

Postby fastj22 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:07 pm

Ouch, another factor. Talking to my trusty CFI, he said he wouldn't do a flight review until there's a vaccine. My flight review is due in June. Unless I can find a CFI who's willing to sit next to me, I might be grounded. I have a list, but most are over 65 and high risk.

Also, I got to thinking, if my state is under a shelter at home directive from the Governor, and I launch, my ADS-B is recorded by the FAA and if they really wanted to get nasty with me, could violate me on not behaving. Interesting times. I think I will not be selfish and follow the mandates of my government.

John Gillis
fastj22

Postby Rynoth » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:22 pm

May or may not be appropriate for this thread, but it may indeed apply to me or anyone else with an upcoming medical expiration.

https://www.faa.gov/news/media/Enforcem ... signed.pdf

If your medical was set to expire between March 31 and June 30, and you aren't able to renew it due to the unavailability of examiners during this crisis, no enforcement action will be taken by the FAA if you fly anyway with an expired medical during this period.

To be clear, I'm not saying this is a good idea, but for those who fly for a living this may be helpful if your local examiner(s) are busy fighting the good fight.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion