A question of accuracy

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

A question of accuracy

Postby WesRagle » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:44 pm

Hi Guys,

Maybe this is a strange question but here goes.

Below is a ""Characteristic Curve" for a typical "VDO-Style" transducer many of us use for measuring oil pressure. If you notice, down around the 2 bar point (~30 psi) and lower, where I would start to be concerned about the oil pressure indication, there is a potential +/- 5 psi indicating error with what would be considered an in tolerance transducer.

Question: Does anybody care? Is it worth the approximately $40, two extra wire runs, and *not* mounting transducer directly to the engine in order to provide an accurate indication?

Just curious what others think.

Thanks,

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Re: A question of accuracy

Postby mike.smith » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:27 pm

My oil pressure registers around 50 psi on average. The VW will run fine with OP down in the 20's psi. Mine used to max out at 35 psi for 3 years before I cleaned up the oil relief plunger and ports in the case. No abnormal wear and no issues for those 3 years. So I don't see any issues at all with the accuracy of the VDO.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby lgsievila » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:06 am

Hi Wes,
In my Dynon Skyview Installation Manual they specifically said, "Do not mount the transducer directly to the engine". Didn't really know why but I followed their directions. When I was running an AeroVee I had an oil line with orifice going to the transducer that was mounted to the engine mount with an adel clamp. When I repowered with a CAMit I did the same thing and checked with a steam gauge to verify my Dynon was indicating correctly. Also did some reading about VDOs failing sooner when mounted directly to the engine. I am still using the same original VDO.

Not sure how all this Corona stuff is going to come out but we are still planning on coming down for Grandson's graduation on June 1st. Maybe see you then.
Loren Sievila
Conventional Gear Onex33
CAMit 2200
Dynon Skyview
lgsievila

Postby achesos » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:19 pm

Despite becoming admittedly more anal retentive as I've gotten older, the precision and accuracy of the indicated oil pressure would not be worth it for me - I"m more interested in the trend information here...
If it indicates stable at 25 (+/-5), things are good right? The opposite condition would of course be of much more interest.
As long as the alarm is set to help alert you if it is in fact trending to worst case, does it really matter that it was 'right' on the way down?
Sonex N857SX
AeroVee, Taildragger, Dual Stick
achesos

Postby WesRagle » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:19 pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. That's pretty much what I thought. Just not a whole lot of need for extreme accuracy. The trend is more important.

And Loren, be sure to come by when you are in this neck of the woods. Also, be sure you are current ;-)

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Return to General Discussion