Avare paired with GRT Safe-fly and EchoUAT

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Avare paired with GRT Safe-fly and EchoUAT

Postby T41pilot » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:34 pm

Hello all

Wondering if anyone out there has tried to get the AVARE moving map app to sync up with an EchoUAT from Uavionix on WiFi using Android? I'm going to be using a GRT EFIS paired with a GRT Safe-fly so I have to use Android based tablet and phone for setup. When looking at the Safe-fly documentation, it appears that the safe-fly combo can run as a stand-alone system without a direct hookup to the efis. I do intend a hookup at some point but am just messing with it right now to see if it is yielding any data as a stand-alone. I intend to use an android tablet as a second display and want to put moving map info on it. The GRT App will not port map info over to the tablet, just flight instruments. My tablet does not have an internal GPS So...I'm trying to get Avare to look at it using the Avare I/O add-on to utilize an external GPS source. I can get the tablet and my phone both to lock on to the WiFi signal from the echoUAT but near as I can tell, the Avare I/O app is not seeing it. It yields no data stream when the listening box is checked and my Avare moving map indicates no GPS signal. The echoUAT app shows current settings short of any aircraft information. My plane is not registered yet so none of that is populated. Will the echo not transmit any data unless all that is done? Is there a sample set of data that I can set the echo to for testing? I thought I would query here first in case any Avare users could supply some setup tips since business will be closed for a couple of days. I haven't changed any of the factory default settings on the Safe-fly. Maybe the port assignment on Avare I/O has to be changed from 43211 to someting else? Tried 4000 with no result. In the end, I'll get a tablet with an internal GPS if we can't get this running but I hate being defeated in an electronic puzzle.
Gregg Kaat
Sonex B #0014
T41pilot

Re: Avare paired with GRT Safe-fly and EchoUAT

Postby Sonex1517 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:17 pm

Gregg

I can only comment on the uAvionix Echo configuration. The Echo requires a GPS lat/long as seen in the configuration app, the aircraft N Number and code, and it must receive a Transponder Mode C signal in order to transmit ADS-B out, as far as I know.

I am not aware of any sample data set for transmission.

I’ve had some hands on experience with this in my Sonex, and several other experimental aircraft at my home base.

I know this does not answer all your questions but I hope it helps.
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
375+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby T41pilot » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:13 pm

Thanks Robbie

I just now figured it out and got it going. I had to wire up an unused wire on the GRT supplied harness to use the safe-fly /echo combo with a tablet. The downside might be that I have to use the internal GPS on the Sport EX for my nav source GPS and not hard wire this like I wanted to. I'll have to get with them to see if that is true. No worries really. I'm not IFR anyway. GRT said the internal GPS on the sport was fine for anything except approaches anyway. I'll be bugging you as usual for a ride next spring. My plane at best might be ready to fly by end of next summer.
Gregg Kaat
Sonex B #0014
T41pilot

Postby Sonex1517 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:38 pm

I’ll be happy to take you up Gregg! Glad to hear you got it resolved.
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
375+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby mike.smith » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:58 am

I have an inexpensive Nexus (Android) tablet running Avare:
$184: https://www.amazon.com/Nexus-Google-7-I ... 099&sr=8-6

The tablet has an internal GPS that has been perfectly accurate 100% of the time; no need for an external antenna. My EchoUAT talks to the Avare I/O app and shows me weather and traffic within Avare.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby T41pilot » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:44 am

Thanks Mike

I was able to do some Hokus Pokus on my 7 inch Kindle and get all the Avare stuff loaded on that. It appears to be running now and is using the GPS data from the EchoUAT as well. No need for an internal GPS on the kindle right now. I'm just not sure at this point if I can still hard wire the echo to my EFIS and share the Safe-fly/echo GPS with both. If not, in the end I will ultimately be using a similar solution to what you are doing. A 6 or 7 inch tablet is just the right size. I already have a mount for my panel that allows it to be angled towards me. I'll post a picture when the panel gets closer to being done. I'm still waiting on a computer driven label maker from Amazon yet to see if I can make some switch labels that I'm satisfied with. I'll spray clear over them if I buy off on that idea. Can't permanently mount anything until I get done with that.
Gregg Kaat
Sonex B #0014
T41pilot

Postby mike.smith » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:28 pm

You can see my tablet running Avare in my videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llvg_nvP5VE
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby T41pilot » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:12 pm

Got an answer from GRT. They said I could run both the tablet and the Sport Efis on the safe-fly/echo GPS source. That was good news.

I got the panel painted and did some labeling. The labeling took considerable time. I was somewhat disappointed that the edges on the labels showed that much. The effect seemed even more noticeable after I sprayed clear over top. They aren't that bad and should satisfy the inspector when the time comes. In the RC world, they would be good enough for stand off scale. That panel is removable, so some winter a year or two after the plane is flying, I'll probably do something else.

I tested the ADSB on the kindle and got a hit from a plane on Avare while inside the house. Should work fine in the air. I like the way I can tilt the kindle towards me. I can display map info on the kindle with Avare and flying instruments with the GRT App in case my passenger needs that info if He/She is flying the plane. MY Efis has better map capability, but at this point I think I want my engine displays larger until I'm confident things are dialed in and the engine is broken in. I'm sure that is going to take considerable time.
Attachments
IMG_20200108_132626_182.jpg
IMG_20200108_130811_812.jpg
Gregg Kaat
Sonex B #0014
T41pilot

Return to General Discussion