EAA vs SOS airventure beer tent

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

EAA vs SOS airventure beer tent

Postby WaiexN143NM » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:39 pm

Hi all,
Interesting reading tue nov 26 www.kathrynsreport.com
Many of us have stopped by for a beer or two and roasted corn.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Re: EAA vs SOS airventure beer tent

Postby Rofomoto » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:12 pm

I vote for SOS. Stop spending my dues for laws suits and spend it on more articles in the magazine about homebuilding and less 10000.00 dollar glass panels and planes 90% of use couldn’t afford. EAA started with guys in a garage building planes exchanging knowledge. Please get back to catering to those kind of people again not the few rich dudes trying to one up the other guy.
Sorry for the rant.... billy
Longassproject
E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles (next year 16- 0)
Rofomoto

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:47 pm

Billy,
No need to apologise for the rant, I'm with you.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby WesRagle » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:26 pm

Hey Billy,

Rant on!

The lawsuit accuses the brothers of hurting AirVenture's reputation and its profits.

I thought EAA/Airventure were non-profit :-)

I too am much more interested in Sonex's, Thatchers, Legal Eagles, etc.,. Airplanes most of us can afford to build and fly.

Wes
Last edited by WesRagle on Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby GraemeSmith » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:41 am

Better link to story:

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2019/11/e ... inc-v.html

--

In all my picture searching online - I can't see anything that uses EAA logos as claimed in the suit. At best I see the term "Beer Venture" - which I see as a fun riff on "Air Venture".

I also see that the US TradeMark Office has allowed:

"Airventure" - Goods and Services Inflatable Toys to - BCI Burke Company, LLC LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY WISCONSIN 660 Van Dyne Road, PO Box 549 Fond du Lac WISCONSIN 54936

"Beerventurous" as a "Goods and Services" Mark for Wine and Beer sales to - Carlos Creek Winery, Inc. CORPORATION MINNESOTA 6693 Country Road 34 NW Alexandria MINNESOTA 56308

"Airventure" G & S: clothing, namely, caps, polo shirts, T-shirts, jackets and sweat shirts. FIRST USE: 19970700. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19970700
IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: producing, staging and conducting air shows and aeronautical exhibitions, competitions and educational services, namely, conducting seminars in the field of aircraft history, aircraft design, aircraft construction techniques and aircraft safety - To the EAA. Says NOTHING ABOUT BEER OR FOOD

"Airventure" - G & S: pre-recorded CD's [ videotapes, laser disks ] and DVD's featuring air shows, aeronautical exhibitions, aeronautical competitions or aircraft seminars - To the EAA

"EAA Airventure" - Whadda yah know? The Trademark office consider this form of words and the logo that comes with it - DEAD. No longer valid.

Been involved in some trademark stuff myself - interesting to see that the suit is asking for a Jury Trial. Because it is then up to the jury to determine if the public are confused by the use of the term. I think the public will not be. After all we all know the event is really called "OshKosh" - right? :-)

If they didn't SPECIFICALLY trademark the term "AirVenture" to include the sale of beer - it will be tough to get a win. I think I can clearly tell the difference between beer and a plane. I think their attorneys might have misled them to enrich themselves.

Now if the SOS Brothers are actually using the EAA LOGOS - that's a different matter - but I can't find a jot of evidence online that they are.

Get over it EAA. Sorely disappointed to see EAA go down this route.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby inventor » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:50 am

So EAA is using our dues to pay lawyers. Too bad they won't work on fixing the "Basic Med" failure.
Onex 150
inventor

Postby DCASonex » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:11 am

At least we can thank EAA for making enough stink that it became a subject in Kathrynsreport with that nice lead in video to brighten dreary winter day.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby jrs » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:33 pm

I have been an EAA member since 1992 and made my first trip to Oshkosh in 93. Think that 2019 was my last trip. Came away with the feeling that there is a lot of holy than thou attitude in the group that runs the show. Taking someones land and then suing them for the name on a beer tent sort of fits in. They certainly won't miss my presence but I won't miss their attitude.
jrs

Postby Mikegaydos » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:51 pm

Yes, in-house counsel has way too much time on their hands. M
MikeG
Waiex-B #44
Lake Worth, FL
Mikegaydos

Postby WaiexN143NM » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:16 pm

Hi all,
I hope you had time to read all the links in this report. This is truly disturbing on EAA ‘s part.
The the pdf link, the eaa wants to be compensated for any profits the brothers have made since they have operated the beer tent, want compensatory, statutory, punitive damages. pay for all legal fees.
They had land taken from them during a faa aip funds use with immient domain.
It seems to me a simple letter to the brothers requesting to stop using ‘venture’ in their wording of their tent would suffice. Should every resturant , bar, store, in the oshkosh area that has banners, marquees, signs welcoming visitors during the week and using eaa or airventure in the wording pay royalities to eaa.?

3 sosinki brothers are named in the suit. the other brother allan has had a recent serious motorycycle accident.
im sure we all wish him a speedy recovery. the eaa retains the right to add him later to the suit.

I’d sure like to know how much the eaa has spent on this lawsuit, our member paid dues.
Jack pelton and the board have some explaning to us.

ive seen on hot and humid days at eaa airventre women wearing bikini tops. are we going to have a dress code now at airventure?

As for the image of the eaa and reputaton harmed? really ? a few girls in bikini tops at the beer tent?

I think that at next years airventure we need to show up at the theatre in woods on the morning they have the pres and board and publicly state the financials. Lets ask some questions to them , and voice our displeasure with this lawsuit.

shame on the EAA. i no longer hold this organization in the highest regard i once thought.

when and if this goes to a jury trial i sure hope that the good citizens of oshkosh will show common sense.

I plan on attending the SOS beer tent everyday air airventure 2020. i hope you do too.
( thanks graeme for the direct link)
WaiexN143NM
EAA lifetime
Michael
Retired FAA
WaiexN143NM

Next

Return to General Discussion