Avoiding Dolphin Nose - dimensions?

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Avoiding Dolphin Nose - dimensions?

Postby scotttro » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:51 pm

I'm easing up on installing the windscreen and canopy on Waiex '76, and I'd like to avoid the "dolphin nose" effect if at all possible. I know I'll need to mount the windshield bow a little higher, but how much? So I wonder if somebody with a "good nose" could provide a dimension of some kind to shoot for? Maybe lay a straightedge across where the bow enters the upper longerons, then measure the distance from centerline to the top of the hoop? I'd greatly appreciate it, and it'd ease my worried mind!
scotttro

Re: Avoiding Dolphin Nose - dimensions?

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:56 pm

I made mine so that I didn't have to trim the back of the windscreen at all, IIRC.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Area 51% » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:37 pm

Bryan's advise is sound as far as I'm concerned. That scenario worked for me.

Measured from the bottom of the instrument panel (instrument panel per plans) I get 16 1/4in to the top of the bow. That can change with a non-standard panel or the angle of the bow.

Check Rofomoto's transition on page 46 of his build. I believe he came up with a similar, if not a little higher, dimension. I can email you a picture of what I have if you wish.
Area 51%

Postby sonex892. » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:36 pm

My windscreen bow is per the plans radius and viewed from the side has no dolphin nose. It was 10 years ago I did the canopy so it's a bit foggy in the memory. From photos I installed the windscreen first then fitted the canopy. I moved the canopy for and aft to find the sweet spot for the windscreen to canopy transition.

I have seen canopies with the windscreen bow too high and that can be equally as unattractive as the dreaded dolphin nose.

I don't know if the canopy plans are still the same but there was a trap in my plans. The canopy bows and the windscreen bows are dimensioned with a radius, one was drawn inside radius of the part the other was drawn outside radius. I missed that and I had to make another windscreen bow which was overall about 2" longer. I have always thought that anomaly in the plans may have been a reason for lower windscreens and dolphin nose on some aircraft.

Steve
Sonex 892
Steve
Lazair kit 1981 sold
Sonerai 2LS plansbuilt 2003 sold
Sonex kit 2010
Sonerai 2LS project rotax 912
sonex892.

Postby fastj22 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:38 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:I made mine so that I didn't have to trim the back of the windscreen at all, IIRC.

Yea, raise the windscreen bow so that you don’t have to trim the lexan aft edge at all. Gives you max height.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby peter anson » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:04 am

I would say it's impossible to make the screen too high with the standard screen supplied with the kit. As others have noted, you shouldn't trim anything from the back corners of the screen. I have seen one where the builder made his own screen about an inch or so higher than the standard and I thought it looked fine and might even improve forward visibility.

Peter
peter anson

Postby Rynoth » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:38 am

peter anson wrote:I would say it's impossible to make the screen too high with the standard screen supplied with the kit.

I think this is right assuming they all come in the same dimensions. I made the screen as tall as the material allowed me to at the rear bow and ended up with a nice straight line to meet the canopy. The key being to not cut any lexan off the bottom side of the corner where the windshield meets the bow.

http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/2 ... d-fitting/
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby avee8r » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:27 am

I got nice results by setting the front bow height at the extended line of the top cowling.
It will be close to the drawing but may be different.
Happy Landings
John
N50NX
avee8r

Postby Rynoth » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:11 am

avee8r wrote:I got nice results by setting the front bow height at the extended line of the top cowling.
It will be close to the drawing but may be different.
Happy Landings
John
N50NX

This can work but has 2 caveats: 1) not everyone has done their cowling prior to fabricating the windshield and 2) it's possible to set the bow height taller than you have the lexan material to fully cover. However, ideally, that extended line off the top of the cowling is indeed the "look" you're going for smooth lines.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Return to General Discussion