Installing Wheel Pants?

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Installing Wheel Pants?

Postby kmacht » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:32 am

I'm trying to figure out how to mount the wheel pants on my Sonex. I have the tracy-obrien brake setup so I can't mount them using the normal plans method. The first question I have is are you supposed to stretch the opening in the bottom of the wheel pants when installing them? The opening seems like even with the stock brake setup there is very little room between the pant and the wheel. I was thinking of stertching the pants wider to go over the top of my wheels and brakes but I have to pull them open almost 1/2 to 3/4" in order to clear everything.

I also can't be the first to install o-brien brakes and stock wheel pants. Can anyone point me to a builders website showing pictures of their installation?

Keith
kmacht

Re: Installing Wheel Pants?

Postby sonex892 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:58 pm

Check out Adrian Clouts site you may find some info there

http://members.iinet.net.au/~cloutaa/

Steve Sonex 892
sonex892

Postby N44SX » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:39 pm

I know its a few months late, but just saw this post. Over the summer I put larger tires on my mains and widened the stock wheel pants and remounted them on my Sonex which has stock wheels and Tracy O'Brien brakes. Let me know if you have any questions and would like to talk about how I did it (here or on phone). I could also take photos if you have a need for them.
N44SX

Postby kmacht » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:58 am

I always seem about a day off. I finally got around to mounting the wheel pants this past Saturday. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I made a plate out of .063 using some cardboard to make a template to get around the axle, bleeder, and brake hose. I mounted the plate to the tracy obrian brake using two of the 4 screws that hold the brake to the axle. I then just mounted the pant to the plate with a few nut plates and the screw that goes into the axle. I am surprised at how solid it ended up coming out.

Keith
kmacht

Postby SonexEZ » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:32 pm

Is it possible to email some pictures getting ready to mount my pans
Guysbostons@gmail. Com
SonexEZ

Re: Installing Wheel Pants? new idear

Postby SonexEZ » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:34 pm

I came up with a way to attached the wheel pans outside edge , My axel has a open end I had no way of suporting the outside edge so i went to the hardware store and got the same size wheel bearing nut 3/4 " then I welded a large washer on the outside edge, screwed it onto the axel shaft i had 3 to 4 threds left , , the washer had a hole in it the size of a rev nut ,then drilled a hole in the pan and attached the pan to the rev nut with a 8mm flush head screw and rubber washer it came out very strong so now on to the pilot side
SonexEZ

Return to General Discussion