ground turn radius

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: ground turn radius

Postby WesRagle » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:55 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm with BV on this. I love the direct link tail wheel. However, I want maneuverability as well.

I just used a little piece of 032 for the rudder stop and was able to get just a tad more than full tail wheel deflection.

Left:

Right:

Center:

The tail wheel control arm hit the frame of the tail wheel a little early so I had to clearance that a little.

The way I got everything to work as I wanted was to attach the tail wheel push rod to the tail wheel control arm. Then I moved the rudder full left, moved the tail wheel full left, stuck a sharpie through the control horn end of the push rod, and drew a arc on the rudder horn. Anywhere along that arc I could attach the push rod and get full left tail wheel deflection. I repeated for right and center positions.

Ideally the three arcs would intersect at a single point and that would be the optimum position for the hole. Probably not going to happen though. Anyway, this will give you a real good idea where to drill the hole in the rudder control horn for maximum deflection of the tail wheel during taxi.

Thanks,
Last edited by WesRagle on Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Re: ground turn radius

Postby Gordon » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:38 am

Turn Radius on the Onex

On my initial taxi testing I found the factory pivot points for the steering rod were unacceptable. I checked the deflection and found I had 35 degrees one way and 44 degrees the other way.

Looking at some close up photos of the factory Onex rudder horn...….I saw Sonex had SEVEN holes drilled in the rudder horn...…..obviously trying different pivot points to get more deflection of the tail wheel.

After some experimentation I moved the pivot point on the rudder horn outboard by a large amount and I now get 55 degrees both ways. My turn radius is quite acceptable now. I did not change the pivot hole in the tail wheel arm. The steering is a bit more sensitive while taxing but it is not a problem.

I would post photos but don't know how on this site. gdbaxter78@gmail.com

Gordon...….Hummel 2400...….Onex
Gordon

Previous

Return to General Discussion