Moni Motorglider

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Moni Motorglider

Postby rmtrudeau » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:11 am

Was browsing through Wings & Wheels this evening and saw Moni Motorglider #8 for sale.

https://wingsandwheels.com/class/classified.php?id=3318

Thought it was kind of neat. Definitely a lineage piece for sure. Almost looks like a Xenos / Onex hybrid or something! That doesn't seem like a bad idea, actually!

Ryan
rmtrudeau

Re: Moni Motorglider

Postby Area 51% » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:59 am

I wish I knew why they don't still have the Moni available. I would be all over that.
Area 51%

Postby drPete » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:46 pm

There is a Moni hanging in the Smithsonian https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/monnett-moni.

I purchased Moni plan set #00236 back in 1985 from the now defunct Monnett Experimental Aircraft. I liked the Moni design but the scratch-built was too much for me. The Moni's design had a fatal (to one builder) design feature. The wing skins are bonded to the ribs with epoxy. Anti-tear rivets were used on the ends. A builder short-cut the build process in not using epoxy, relying on the few anti-tear rivets to retain the skin. The flight had a predictably fatal result. Monnett Experimental left the market, selling stock and intellectual property rights to the Moni, Moneri, amd Soneri designs.

In looking at purchasing a Moni, it would be worth considering how to ensure the integrity of 36 year old epoxy bonded wing skins.

The construction drawings are interesting to compare with current Sonex drawings.

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Last edited by drPete on Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Pete
Xenos-B s/n XNB0010
xenos.n25xb@gmail.com

drPete

Postby WaiexN143NM » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:09 pm

hi all,
Yes would love to see sonex come out with something similar. Single place , removable or folding wings. HKS 60 hp . tri or taildragger. simple fun fast building. all cnc holes drilled final size. cleco and go.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby rmtrudeau » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:48 pm

WaiexN143NM wrote:hi all,
Yes would love to see sonex come out with something similar. Single place , removable or folding wings. HKS 60 hp . tri or taildragger. simple fun fast building. all cnc holes drilled final size. cleco and go.

WaiexN143NM
Michael

I imagine how good that would be for the Gliding and Homebuilt community...neat stuff.
rmtrudeau

Postby fastj22 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:31 am

rmtrudeau wrote:
WaiexN143NM wrote:hi all,

WaiexN143NM
Michael

I imagine how good that would be for the Gliding and Homebuilt community...neat stuff.

I think there is a market for a home built, self launch single place glider. Basically, a Onex Zenos hybred. Folding prop, retract mono wheel. Shoot for 30+ glide slope.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby WaiexN143NM » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:48 am

Hi all, john,
Talking with some Europa drivers the last few years, most were converting to tri gear. the trouble with the retract mono wheel was alot were losing control on landing especially in a crosswind . the insurance company was not insuring anymore or high rates. I think a standard gear typically faired with leg fairings and wheelpants is the way to go. yep foldable prop. plastic fuel tank between the legs. front hinged canopy with intregrated inst. panel. winters coming to wi. maybe kerry has some time to
brainstorm.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby racaldwell » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:38 pm

There is the HP24 sailplane kit and you can install an electric FES power unit with folding prop for self launch. It is made with carbon/epoxy instead of aluminum/rivets and it is available right now. Just ask Noel Wade. He introduced me to this kit. I want one. But first have to finish my touring motorglider.

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057
racaldwell

Postby drPete » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:32 pm

John Monnett offered the Moneri home built, self launch (model P), single place glider back in 1978. Best L/D was 1:28.
Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monnett_Monerai says 100 build from 375 kits.
Pete
Xenos-B s/n XNB0010
xenos.n25xb@gmail.com

drPete

Return to General Discussion