I pad overheating

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

I pad overheating

Postby Afsbz » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:03 am

I like to use ForeFlight and my iPad mini eapecially when flying cross country. Problem is, on a sunny day the iPad overheats and will not function until it cools down. Just looking for a solution you might use that would solve the problem. Responses would be greatly appreciated.
Afsbz

Re: I pad overheating

Postby GordonTurner » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:03 am

Hi. I use iPads in the plane at work, not a sonex yet....main thing is keep sunlight off the screen.
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby builderflyer » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:10 am

I don't understand the apparent obsession in using an ipad with foreflight in aviation use, especially with a canopy type aircraft. I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7.0 tablet with an IFLY gps ap. This tablet displays adequately in bright sunlight with its special brightness button and it never has overheated in my Sonex in sunny California. The internal battery lasts for 4 or 5 hours or it can be powered by the panel if that is not long enough. The best part for us cheapskates is that the Samsung tablet can currently be bought new on ebay for $79.99. Add some additional memory with a micro sd card and the free IFLY ap.......and a vfr subscription to IFLY for $69.95 a year and you're good to go. Mine has performed flawlessly. Oh and I also use a uavionics Ping Buddy for adsb-in to display traffic and weather on the Samsung tablet. The Ping Buddy has been discontinued but a friend of mine recently purchased a used one for $70.

Sorry if this reads like an advertisement, but I'm just a very satisfied user.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby EdW » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:23 am

builderflyer wrote:I don't understand the apparent obsession in using an ipad with foreflight in aviation use, especially with a canopy type aircraft. I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7.0 tablet with an IFLY gps ap. This tablet displays adequately in bright sunlight with its special brightness button and it never has overheated in my Sonex in sunny California. The internal battery lasts for 4 or 5 hours or it can be powered by the panel if that is not long enough. The best part for us cheapskates is that the Samsung tablet can currently be bought new on ebay for $79.99. Add some additional memory with a micro sd card and the free IFLY ap.......and a vfr subscription to IFLY for $69.95 a year and you're good to go. Mine has performed flawlessly. Oh and I also use a uavionics Ping Buddy for adsb-in to display traffic and weather on the Samsung tablet. The Ping Buddy has been discontinued but a friend of mine recently purchased a used one for $70.

Sorry if this reads like an advertisement, but I'm just a very satisfied user.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
That's why God made blondes, brunettes and redheads, and Sonex offers Sonex, Waiex and Onex...choice. We tend to stick with what satisfies us. Someone said it better: "To each his own".

Ed
EdW

Postby N190YX » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:50 pm

I have found the iPad is less susceptible to overheating if it is fully charged and operated off ship's power (or other power source) because the battery is neither discharging nor being charged, one less source of heat. Another thing is to turn off all the apps and features you are not using in flight so the processor is not as busy and not producing as much heat. Lastly, and perhaps the most important, get an iPad with a white border, not a black or dark border which absorbs more sunlight heat. My iPad mount has a 12v fan built into it and the iPad is held onto it with Velcro at each corner so there is a gap between the bottom of the iPad and the holder to allow airflow from the fan to cool the bottom of the iPad. The only time my iPad has overheated and failed to operate is once when I left it in the airplane outside on a hot sunny day and it was too hot to come on.
N190YX

Postby dbdevkc » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:26 am

builderflyer wrote:I don't understand the apparent obsession in using an ipad with foreflight in aviation use, especially with a canopy type aircraft. I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7.0 tablet with an IFLY gps ap. This tablet displays adequately in bright sunlight with its special brightness button and it never has overheated in my Sonex in sunny California. The internal battery lasts for 4 or 5 hours or it can be powered by the panel if that is not long enough. The best part for us cheapskates is that the Samsung tablet can currently be bought new on ebay for $79.99. Add some additional memory with a micro sd card and the free IFLY ap.......and a vfr subscription to IFLY for $69.95 a year and you're good to go. Mine has performed flawlessly. Oh and I also use a uavionics Ping Buddy for adsb-in to display traffic and weather on the Samsung tablet. The Ping Buddy has been discontinued but a friend of mine recently purchased a used one for $70.

I plan to use an iPad, but would use a Samsung for flight purposes. Once I'm in the app, I don't think the OS interface matters much. Just as long as the app is intuitive. I know that many people in soaring use a Nexus 7 (running an open source app soaring specific app called TopHat). Regarding the app, I am a huge fan of FltPlan Go. My daughter uses it. It is awesome. And free - no subscription fees. You get all updated charts when they come out. And available for iOS, Android, and Windows devices. Oh, and did I say free?
[color=#800000]Kevin Conklin
Building Waiex #169
dbdevkc

Return to General Discussion