Remote key fob Push-to-start?

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Remote key fob Push-to-start?

Postby dtibbo » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:44 am

Some people have keys for master switch and a push-to-start button.

Has anyone removed keys entirely from their airplane and went with an automobile-style remote key fob for push-to-start?
David Tibbo
Former Marine EA-6B Navigator, Civilian Instrument pilot
Waiex-B delivered 14 Nov 2018
Airworthiness certificate 11 June 2020
dtibbo

Re: Remote key fob Push-to-start?

Postby GordonTurner » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:24 pm

There’s something to be said about that feature for cars.

Airplanes have a propeller on the front. Remote is a bad idea I think, even if your INTENTION is to only use it when you’re sitting in the cockpit.
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby achesos » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:58 pm

dtibbo wrote:Some people have keys for master switch and a push-to-start button.

Has anyone removed keys entirely from their airplane and went with an automobile-style remote key fob for push-to-start?

DFMEA stands for "Design Failure Mode Effects Analysis"

Just sayin...
Sonex N857SX
AeroVee, Taildragger, Dual Stick
achesos

Postby dtibbo » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:53 pm

GordonTurner wrote:There’s something to be said about that feature for cars.

Airplanes have a propeller on the front. Remote is a bad idea I think, even if your INTENTION is to only use it when you’re sitting in the cockpit.

Excellent point, sorry let me clarify. A button-less FOB, with the push-button on the panel. So the button is disabled unless I'm in the plane. Certainly not remote starting at a distance.

achesos wrote:
DFMEA stands for "Design Failure Mode Effects Analysis"

Just sayin...

Yeah I guess I'd need a backup, and backups equal weight.

Guess I'll stick with the key. Aircraft spruce has only ignition keys. Where can I find a key for the master switch for on/off? If I have the key with me, the master is off. Easy, right?
David Tibbo
Former Marine EA-6B Navigator, Civilian Instrument pilot
Waiex-B delivered 14 Nov 2018
Airworthiness certificate 11 June 2020
dtibbo

Postby wlarson861 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:05 pm

I have a keyed master and a toggle switch in series. The key is turned on most of the time since the plane is hangared. I tun of the keyed switch off and remove it when at flyins so someone can't swing the prop by hitting the start button. I bought the keyed switch from Amazon for arround $15.
Bill Larson
N861SX
Sonex, polished, tail wheel, Generation 4 Jabiru 3300
wlarson861

Postby fastj22 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:33 pm

K.I.S.S.
Simple mag switches, simple push button starter. Just like the Pawnee I tow with.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby GordonTurner » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:00 am

I am putting the keyed switch in series with a push button for start. Ignition on toggles. Master on toggle. The keyed switches just seem less reliable so I didn’t want that as my master switch. The only time the key needs to be removed is when I want to disable the start button. Most likely, a failure of the keyed switch will only prevent a ground start, not much danger there unless the sheriff is finally catching up...
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby Gordon » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:06 am

Keyed Master Switch........?

David......you bring up an interesting question about using a key to allow the "master switch" to have juice. The key would seem to be redundant.......I have the red "Cessna split master" switch in my Onex. There is no need for a key.....when I flip the master on then the start button on the panel comes alive. The toggle mag switch and toggle electronic ignition switch also now have available juice. Until I flip on the master.....nothing on the panel will work. Wiring in a keyed switch only complicates things and really serves no purpose.

I doubt anybody is going to open your canopy (say at some fly-in) and mess with your switches.........if you have that concern then padlock your canopy......in which case...and I repeat, you still don't need a keyed master switch. I have flown in to many fly-in's with my RV-6 and RV-7 and nobody has EVER tried to open my canopy much less mess with switches.......airplane people have respect for other people's airplanes.

The other point I would make is KISS (keep it simple stupid).......these airplanes take way too long to build if you build exactly to plans and the more bells and whistles you add will add months and months to the build time. I have seen builders over the last 30 years add a "ton of stuff" and never actually finish the airplane......they burn out and get financially "tapped out" and then they sell the project.

Don't go down that rabbit hole................remember KISS

Gordon......Onex....Hummel 2400....1st flight June 17, 2018
Gordon

Postby kmacht » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:27 am

I have my plane wired up with a standard airplane keyed switch from Wicks (left mag , right mag , both, start). The master is on a separate switch as I wanted to be able to isolate the whole electrical system at times separate from the key. I went with a keyed switch because it is a way for me when working on the plane to know for sure that the ignition systems are turned off. If the key is in my hand or pocket the ignition can't have power. The same can't be said if you are just using a toggle switch on the dash. It is also a way to make sure everything stays shut down if you are at a young eagles rally letting a bunch of kids sit in your plane. To make the standard key switch work I did have to install a relay for the electronic ignition and heavy diode on each mag ground wire since they were both going to a common grounding point. Without the diodes the mags tend to ground each other out and you will get a rough running engine.

Keith
kmacht

Postby Rynoth » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:21 pm

I am curious about the key fob idea, but more for canopy latching. Larger aircraft don't even have keys in the cockpit, but do still have locking doors. If theft is the primary concern, having a canopy latch that can't be circumvented without compromising the canopy (and thus the ability for the aircraft to actually fly safely) should be as/more secure than any sort of ignition key system. I still haven't found a good way to lock my modified swing-back canopy, mostly because I don't want to have to drill additional holes for a canopy lock, and I'm curious how such a system might be used to be able to lock the canopy remotely.

I would be concerned for any ignition/starter keyfob system interfering with the abilty to reliably restart the engine in-flight.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Next

Return to General Discussion