Primary/Secondary Ignition Timing

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Primary/Secondary Ignition Timing

Postby XenosN42 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:20 pm

Hello all,

I've just posted a video demonstrating one method to verify that the timing between your primary & secondary ignition systems is correct.

https://youtu.be/bMWfEA8s8so

Enjoy

-- Michael
OneX N169XE
author of the 'Flight Data Viewer'
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
XenosN42

Re: Primary/Secondary Ignition Timing

Postby Waiex 0194 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:48 pm

Michael,

I’m a long way from doing this testing on my plane, but it’s impressive you got the two individual ignitions to be within 2degF of each other. Did you note the CHT when both ignitions were on? I’m curious if the temperature remained the same as the hotter of the two independently, or increased, a burning the candle from both ends scenario. On an episode of Sonex Flight, some of the guests talked about shutting off the secondary ignition when in cruise flight, and having good results. Might this be an explanation?
Larry Kelly
Waiex 0194
Standard gear, AeroVee
Columbus, IN
Waiex 0194

Re: Primary/Secondary Ignition Timing

Postby XenosN42 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:28 am

Hi,

Great question. I did measure the CHTs at the same power setting with BOTHignition systems ON for 1-1/2 minutes after the test. So the full results are:

Primary only: 378F
Secondary only: 380F
Both: 384F

I consider these temperatures to be essentially equal because they are within the temperature probes' margin of error.

-- Michael
N169XE
[url]JASFlyer.COM[/url]
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
XenosN42

Return to General Discussion