New Canopy

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

New Canopy

Postby rauburg » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:25 am

We need to install a new canopy on Xenos that is new to partnership. The rear bows was damaged and bent and have ordered replacement canopy and the frame parts that we need. I know that the rear bow will have to be trimmed and I am not sure we can straighten original bow for accurate measurements.

How should we go about the reinstall of the replacement canopy? Should we treat it as a new install and fit canopy to plane first and then rebuild the frame? Or, should we rebuild the frame and then fit the canopy to it?

Randy
Xenos 032
N5234
rauburg

Re: New Canopy

Postby Gordon » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:19 am

Xenos Canopy

Randy.........build a new frame first.......then cut and fit the Plexiglas to fit that frame. It is a slow and frustrating job........don't rush it. It is a highly visible part of the airplane, you want to do your BEST work in this area.

Gordon...Onex......First Flight June 17, 2018
Gordon

Re: New Canopy

Postby rauburg » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:58 am

Thank you for the input. I saw the Steve Pettyjohn modification that has the joggle strip. That is a reinforcing strip to spread the stress. Is that something worth considering? Or, is this an outdated mod that is no longer needed with the new canopy material?
rauburg

Return to General Discussion