insurance catch

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

insurance catch

Postby billmaxmcw » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:56 pm

A prospective buyer of my 2012 Sonex is trying to arrange for training by a CFI. I tried to add his CFI as a pilot on my Falcon Insurance, but they won't do that unless I can find a CFI with Sonex time. Big catch. Anyone know of a CFI with Sonex time somewhat near Eugene, Oregon? Others have this problem?
Bill
Bill, Oregon
2012 Sonex taildragger (kit)
Aerovee 2.1, Aeroinjector
billmaxmcw

Re: insurance catch

Postby lgsievila » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:40 pm

Hi Bill,
I tried to add a friend who is a CFII, has thousands and thousands of hours, flown helicopters to business jets and everything in between, so he could fly my Onex. Insurance said he needed a couple of hours seat time in a Sonex and it would cost me an Extra 100 bucks a year. I did have another Onex driver listed at no cost. Haven't been able to get any Sonex seat time so it hasn't happened. Looks to me like there is a need on the West Coast for a Sonex CFI.

Washington State
Loren Sievila
Conventional Gear Onex33
CAMit 2200
Dynon Skyview
lgsievila

Postby builderflyer » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:03 am

Bill, he is not real close but Allan Fisher is based in the Richland WA area and is a highly experienced CFI, flies his own Sonex and also loves to fly at the drop of a hat. He recently flew his Sonex back to WA after wintering in CA, something he does every year. You may want to call him and see if anything can be worked out (509) 301-3461. Tell him hello from me.

Good luck,

Art (Lake California)..............Sonex taildragger #95............Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby Gripdana » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:02 pm

I am a CFI with 180 hours Sonex tailwheel. I live in Los Angeles. I would have to look into the regulations about any training. I do know you need an LODA to use an experimental aircraft for training.
Dana Baker
Scratch Built
First Flight March 8, 2015
Sonex #1534 - N1534S "Aluminum Foil"
Aerovee-Dual Controls-Tail Dragger
Gripdana

Postby lutorm » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:20 pm

Gripdana wrote:I am a CFI with 180 hours Sonex tailwheel. I live in Los Angeles. I would have to look into the regulations about any training. I do know you need an LODA to use an experimental aircraft for training.

You only need a LODA to charge for the use of your own experimental aircraft. No problem instructing in an experimental as long as you don't charge for the use of the airplane, ie use the customer's. You can charge for your time either way. (We have a CFI who's a co-owner of our Sonex, so we've looked into this quite a bit.)
lutorm

Postby Sonerai13 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:13 am

lutorm wrote:You only need a LODA to charge for the use of your own experimental aircraft. No problem instructing in an experimental as long as you don't charge for the use of the airplane, ie use the customer's. You can charge for your time either way.

Yep, this is correct. There's no need for a LODA unless you want to charge a fee for the use of the airplane. You can do all the instructing you want, and get paid for it too, in any experimental airplane. This works great when the customer has their own airplane. No worries!
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Postby Msing48 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:07 am

Insurance companies continue to be unreasonable (stupid). EAA555 has built a Waiex and the 1st flight has been flown. However, they cannot get anyone in the chapter insured without 5 hours with an instructor in a Sonex or Waiex. Also, I believe they want the instructor to have 5 hours in a Sonex/Waiex before he/she can do this instruction. These guys would appreciate any help!
Msing48

Postby sonex1374 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:10 am

Mike, and Chapter 555,

The question to ask the insurance company is what about members that already have time logged in type. How much time logged is acceptable - 5 hrs? 10 hrs? at some point dual instruction won't matter. Chapter members may have to get creative to get that time into their logbooks. Once they do, the insurance company should be just fine with them. In fact, once the first person gets approved it can be a chain-flying type approach, where a new member flies with an old (approved) member to build up PIC time in type. It's a lot of flying, but should be doable.

Jeff
Jeff Shultz
Sonex TD, 3300, AeroInjector
Kansas City, MO
http://www.sonex604.com
sonex1374

Postby Ray Krause » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:27 am

A pilot can purchase “Renters Insurance” for about $100/year to cover himself when he uses. “rents” your plane to build hours. There seems to be no requirement for “in-type, make, model” experience. You have a choice of PD and PL and even hull coverage. Just a thot.
Ray Krause

Postby markschaible » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:56 pm

Try First Flight Insurance Group for 3rd part liability to get your pilots some time. They will accept non-CFI time in type or similar type/handling aircraft. After several hours, you can transition to another carrier like Falcon with enough time PIC to satisfy them. Also, Avemco accepts non-CFI time in type or similar type/handling. https://www.sonexaircraft.com/insurance/
markschaible

Next

Return to General Discussion