Home-building project insurance

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Home-building project insurance

Postby 984dm » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:36 am

To all fellow Sonex product builders:

I was reminded once again (as I sent in a check for annual premiums recently) about the need for insurance for our home-building aircraft projects. I may have mentioned this to the group before, but thought a reminder may be helpful, especially for the "new" members.

Just FYI: please check with your current homeowner's insurance company to determine if they would cover your aircraft project in the event of a loss while it's being built on your property. My homeowners policy would not cover any loss of my plane project if my garage burned down, etc. I have a name of a company which will cover aircraft projects during construction with reasonable rates. If anyone wants info, please send me a message. I have no connections (financial or otherwise) with this company.

Have fun, and keep building!
Dave Misner
Sonex N984DM (in progress)
davidmisner56@gmail.com
Dave M.
Bloomer, WI
Legacy Sonex N984DM (N number reserved, project is a work in progress)
Tri gear with center stick
Revmaster 2300
MGL XTreme EFIS/EMS, MGL V6, Sandia STX 165
984dm

Re: Home-building project insurance

Postby GordonTurner » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:52 pm

I just renewed mine at $250 for $40k. Point of reference.
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby DCASonex » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:26 pm

When mentioned building an airplane to my former insurance company a few years back they pointed out that not only would they not cover that, but also would not cover any tools used for that even if they existed prior to the project.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby 9GT » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:48 am

Contact Shanna Linton at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. :Arthur J. Gallagher Risk Management Services, Inc., formally NationAir.

595 Bell Avenue I Chesterfield MO I 63005
Phone: 877-475-5860 I Fax: 636-532-3646
www.ajg.com/lightaircraft | www.ajg.com

They have a team put together that specializes in EXP aircraft and know what they are doing. Builders insurance is cheap but necessary, especially when you start factoring in engine and avionics. The girls will get you the best rates out there. Once your ready for first flight, they can get that policy converted to a flight policy. I have no affiliation with them, just a happy and satisfied customer.
David Clifford
Howell & Gladwin, MI
RV-9A: Under Construction (I'm a repeat offender!)
RV-10: Built & Sold: Flying Since 2013 N959RV
Cozy MKIV: Built & Sold: Flying Since 2007 N656TE
9GT

Return to General Discussion