ADS-B, where is your head?

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Postby fastj22 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:18 pm

As the deadline approaches, how is everyone approaching it?

Go with certified solution?
Go with experimental solution, (integrated xPonder)?
Go with a solution that will leverage your Mode C xPonder?
Avoid Mode C veil airspace and above 10,000 MSL?

Some of us early adopters have gotten burned (NavWorx), some are swinging in the wind, some are pretty darn happy.
I'm in the middle. Bought a SkyguardTWX 2 years ago and had a few upgrades. When I fly, I check with with FAA website to get a report. Its throwing some errors, not sure I'm compliant, the GPS drops out so I assume it effects the report. I hear nothing from SkyGuard, he hasn't been to the last two AirVentures, but haven't call them in a year either.
I've helped install to Uvonix units in other Sonex and they seem solid.

Garmin, Dynon, Sandia, Grand Rapids are all coming out with affordable integrated solutions.....if you think $3000 is affordable!

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Re: ADS-B, where is your head?

Postby Sonex1517 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:21 pm

Personally, I am waiting as long as I can. But since my home base is under the edge of the O'Hare Mode C veil, I will have to bite the bullet before the deadline.

I have a GRT Mini and am going to install the echoUAT/Safe-fly GPS Package - current price is $1490. I already have a Garmin transponder installed.

For ADS-B In, I use a Stratux connected to the Mini. Today on a short flight I got weather and traffic with 6 towers being received.
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby mike.smith » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:25 pm

I already had a Sandia transponder, so I installed the Uavionix echoUAT with a WAAS GPS on the glare shield. I got it installed in a total of 7 hours, and I've gotten 100% positive feedback from the FAA. I see the local traffic and weather on my Nexus tablet running Avare, and I'm 2020 compliant. I'm happy, and the price was right.
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_l ... 9578&row=4
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_l ... 9579&row=3
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_l ... 9952&row=2
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_l ... 0113&row=1

My home airport is within the Mode C veil around Boston, so I had no choice. But I fly through and into controlled airspace all the time, so it wasn't a question of "if," only "when." And I'm sure by now everyone knows if you are only getting ADSB-In you are NOT getting all the traffic! You may not be getting traffic that's 10' off your wing tip.

I got burned by NavWorx, too!
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:30 pm

I don't live under the veil. No rush for me.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Sonex1517 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:36 pm

Mike

Did you do the install yourself?

Bryan - I envy you for being outside the veil!!
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby mike.smith » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:52 pm

Sonex1517 wrote:Did you do the install yourself?

Yes. The Kitlog entries are me doing the work.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby fastj22 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:27 pm

I live just outside the Denver veil, but I also sometimes fly into KAPA to work on nice days. And Gary is on the other side, so either take the great circle route or fly right through it.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby n307tw » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:02 pm

Currently building the panel. Was going to go with the all in one ADS-B in/out Sandia STX-360 but the offer from Uavionix has a better deal and is a ForeFlight partner so I am getting the Sandia mode-c remote head transponder and the Uavionix ADS-B in/out with WAAS gps and going to exterior mount the antenna next to the Sirius antenna on the turtledeck. Mounting the transponder and Uavionix heads under the seat but I don’t have autopilot so I may have a little more available room than you. Everything is going full remote controlled with the MGL EFIS Explorer so nothing else will be on the panel except a flush mount mini iPad. Looks relatively simple to wire up the Sandia and Uavionix because its all CAN bus or RS-232 linked. Like Mike Smith I’ll be under the Charlie veil and the NYC bravo mod-c ring is 10 miles to my East so the ADS-B stuff is required for me. Excited to see how the Uavionix will work with the iPad using ForeFlight or maybe switch to WingX. I know it’s off topic but I am really excited to install the Garmin GTR-200 radio also as it allows audio input from the MGL, audio input from the iPad, and stereo audio jack from the satellite radio. Has the two place intercom built in, transmits @ 10 watts and mutes music when there’s activity on the radio. Also allows you to listen to two frequencies for ATIS and main freq monitoring. All around sounds like a great radio and it’s cheaper than the MGL V6/V16. Good luck with your ADS-B choice and install John - keep us updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tim Wrede
Long Island, NY
Sonex-B #18, Nosedragger
Aeromomentum AM15, Garmin G3X
My Build Site
n307tw

Postby bakerde36 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:33 pm

I have a question. I do not have a transponder and wondered what would be the best/cheapest way to get compliant? I am in no hurry as I do not fly into class c right now. I do have a king KT 78 but it doesn't have the digitizer should I use this or is it too old and to costly to get a digitizer? Thanks all
Densil Baker
Sonex 1578, Tailwheel
Hummel 2400, Prince Ptip 54x50
bakerde36

Postby SNX1508 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:11 am

bakerde36 wrote:I have a question. I do not have a transponder and wondered what would be the best/cheapest way to get compliant? I am in no hurry as I do not fly into class c right now. I do have a king KT 78 but it doesn't have the digitizer should I use this or is it too old and to costly to get a digitizer? Thanks all

I am in a similar situation, no hurry to have ADS-B out, don't fly in class C, but would like to see all traffic. Currently have a Stratux setup for ADS-B in only. I bought a KT 76 cheap, got the altitude encoder from Aircraft Spruce for $275.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/a ... ncoder.php

I will be buying a echoUAT + SkyFYX GPS soon.
Terry
Sonex #1508
N296SX
AeroVee #0736
Tail Dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/SNX1508
SNX1508

Return to General Discussion