Prop/steering rod

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Prop/steering rod

Postby kenandkatie2 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:14 pm

For those of you who responded to my previous thread regarding converting my waiex from tailwheel to trigear, thanks again for your input. I've had the plane checked out since my accident (I nosed it over while doing high speed taxiing). Fortunately, damage was limited to the prop and lower cowling. No damage to the engine/crank/mounts. So, I've decided to keep the plane, stay with tailwheel configuration, and learn how to safely fly the darn thing. Now, all I need is a prop to make it airworthy. I was wondering if anyone out there had a used prop for an Aerovee 80hp for sale. I was also advised to ask if anyone had plans for a modified tailwheel steering rod. Thanks for your time and input.
Ken
kenandkatie2

Re: Prop/steering rod

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:18 pm

I’m really glad to hear damage to your airplane was minimal, and I’m sure someone on here will have a prop for you to purchase.

I’m sorry to bring this up, but in the interest of safety, I have to ask; how did you determine the crank was okay? I assume you did have a prop strike, correct?

The only reason I ask is the VW cranks aren’t exactly known for being ultra robust, and more than one Sonex has suffered an engine failure as a result of a failed crank long after a prop strike took place. I’m not telling you what to do here, but if it were me, given the low cost of these cranks from the factory I would strongly consider just installing a new one so there’s nothing to worry about. It’s certainly your decision!

Best of luck getting your plane back together!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby mike.smith » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:45 pm

When I had my prop strike I replaced the crank and bearings. When I went to remove the gland nut by anchoring the prop hub flange I found the crank was rotating inside the prop hub! The prop strike had sheared the woodruff key on the end of the crank. When I got the prop hub off I saw 1/2 of the woodruff key was firmly cemented inside the recess in the crank, and the other half had damaged the inside of the prop hub due to the shear forces put on them. So I was happy that I had decided to replace the crank, as the original wasn't reusable even if the rest of the crank was OK.

I now have much more respect for high cross winds and/or gusty conditions during taxi.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby kenandkatie2 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:00 pm

MichaelFarley56 wrote:I’m really glad to hear damage to your airplane was minimal, and I’m sure someone on here will have a prop for you to purchase.

I’m sorry to bring this up, but in the interest of safety, I have to ask; how did you determine the crank was okay? I assume you did have a prop strike, correct?

The only reason I ask is the VW cranks aren’t exactly known for being ultra robust, and more than one Sonex has suffered an engine failure as a result of a failed crank long after a prop strike took place. I’m not telling you what to do here, but if it were me, given the low cost of these cranks from the factory I would strongly consider just installing a new one so there’s nothing to worry about. It’s certainly your decision!

Best of luck getting your plane back together!

Thanks for the input, Mike.
Ken
kenandkatie2

Postby kenandkatie2 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:03 pm

mike.smith wrote:When I had my prop strike I replaced the crank and bearings. When I went to remove the gland nut by anchoring the prop hub flange I found the crank was rotating inside the prop hub! The prop strike had sheared the woodruff key on the end of the crank. When I got the prop hub off I saw 1/2 of the woodruff key was firmly cemented inside the recess in the crank, and the other half had damaged the inside of the prop hub due to the shear forces put on them. So I was happy that I had decided to replace the crank, as the original wasn't reusable even if the rest of the crank was OK.

I now have much more respect for high cross winds and/or gusty conditions during taxi.

Thanks for passing on your experience!
Ken
kenandkatie2

Return to General Discussion