Fix for forward wing skins

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Fix for forward wing skins

Postby jeff0196 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:44 pm

I think you might be overthinking this a little. Just like Bryan said, dimpling a #30 hole doesn't automatically mean it won't work. Best practice would obviously have been the smaller drill bit. However, the difference in dimple angle between sonex style rivets and the rest of aviation rivets isn't a perfect solution either.

I recommend drilling and dimpling holes in a test part first. Use a sonex flush rivet and see if it expands to fill the larger hole. Rivet joints are much different than bolted joints in this respect. Rivets ARE designed to expand a small amount while being set to fill the hole they are in while bolts do not. Bolted holes being tight is much greater an issue. That's why we can get away with a number 30 and not an 1/8" drill in the first place. It would be no fun to need to tap in line on line fit rivets in every hole before pulling them. I did not have a hole wing leading edge with #30 holes, but I did have a few in other areas. Just like Bryan, I found the sonex flush rivets to fill them just fine.
Jeffrey W
Waiex 0196
AeroVee Turbo
jeff0196

Postby kmacht » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:54 pm

Cherymax makes an oversized 1/8" rivet for holes up to .140 with a 120 degree countersunk head. Take a look at page 15 of their catalog. I think what you may be looking for is a CR3246-4-2. Not going to be cheap if you find them though.

http://www.cherryaerospace.com/docs/cat ... A-1011.pdf

Keith
kmacht

Postby dbdevkc » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:04 pm

WaiexN143NM wrote:Hi jake,
Yes a #40 drill and the DIENQ die set from cleveland tools is a good combo. Nice and tight for 1/8 ss rivets. I would go w 5/32 ss countersunk pull rivets , or oversize cherry max, but then u need the special riveter. Good luck , let us know how it goes!

WaiexN143NM
Michael

This was an old discussion, but looking for a better dimple die than the "super simple" that came with my kit. I was looking at the spring-back dimple die set from Cleveland Tools mentioned above, as they are designed specifically for the flush rivets that come with the Sonex (Designed for use with the Cherry N or Avdel Q pull rivets which are slightly larger than a standard CS4 pull rivet. These are used in the Sonex and Panther kits.). But I see it is meant to be used in #40 holes, then after dimpling they say to updrill/ream to #30. Wouldn't that then require the already dimpled hole to be deburred?

Kevin
[color=#800000]Kevin Conklin
Building Waiex #169
dbdevkc

Postby dbdevkc » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:56 pm

Some more digging on this board and found the general consensus is that the DIENQ from Cleveland makes for the best results. Drill #40, use that specific dimple die, then ream to either #32 or use a 1/8" reamer. no need for additional deburring.
[color=#800000]Kevin Conklin
Building Waiex #169
dbdevkc

Postby samiam » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:05 am

Kevin,
I strongly urge using a better dimple die than the "simple" one, as I could never get it to not over-stretch out the holes.

I used the Cleaveland die (not the DieNQ, but the equivalent for dimpling a #30 hole). It did an outstanding job of creating excellent dimples without enlarging the hole. One more benefit - no "proud" rivet stems since the holes were not over-enlarged.

Best,
Mike
Mike L
Sonex #1345
Tail complete
Working on wings
samiam

Previous

Return to General Discussion