Radio Noise

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Radio Noise

Postby tom0nex74 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:06 am

My AeroVee engine is transmitting a ticking sound through ignition system one (the magnatrons) to the MGL radio. The ticking increases with the RPM. I have grounded each mag trying to isolate the problem to no avail. Did all the easy stuff, plugs, plug wires, wire connections etc. Anyone got any ideas?
Tom Ryan...0nex 74
tom0nex74

Re: Radio Noise

Postby NWade » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:40 pm

tom0nex74 wrote:My AeroVee engine is transmitting a ticking sound through ignition system one (the magnatrons) to the MGL radio. The ticking increases with the RPM. I have grounded each mag trying to isolate the problem to no avail. Did all the easy stuff, plugs, plug wires, wire connections etc. Anyone got any ideas?
Tom Ryan...0nex 74

Tom -

Here are a few suggestions to look at:
  • Where does your radio ground at? Is it a central grounding point that then has a big wire connected back to the battery?
  • Are you using shielded wire from the radio to your headset jacks?
  • Do you have isolation washers installed on both sides of each headset jack, so that they don't contact the metal of the aircraft?
  • Can you describe how your Magnetrons are wired up (i.e. where are all the attachments)?
  • Are the Mag wires behind the panel running alongside (or tied into the same wire bundle as) any of the radio wiring?

Take care,

--Noel
NWade

Postby Nipper2 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:56 pm

Hello there, you could always try wrapping a spiral ( about 1" pitch) of light copper wire around your aerial top to bottom, retained with some heat shrink. It worked for me.
Nipper2

Postby ScottM-Sonex1629 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:27 pm

Tom,

I’ve had a very similar problem with my AeroVee magnetrons and my MGL V6 Com for the better part of last year. I’ve tried lots of things as suggested by this forum and others...with very limited success.

I’ve resorted to turning off the Mags after takeoff and climb out from the pattern, and only turning them back on for landing because the ticking noise is too much to handle. My original V6 radio would shut down on the receiving channel after 15-20 mins of flight with this interference (noise). After multiple discussions with MGL, I replaced my antenna with a DPA Red Tail Antenna (mounted on turtleneck), a new coax cable, new Mags, new spark plugs, double checking all grounds, an updated firmware from MGL, and finally a replacement V6 Com after my first one didn’t see any improvements.

Like I said all items were incremental improvements, but the noise is still there when others transmit. I don’t hear the noise so much now on a open channel.

I’ve been considering finding a way to replace the spark plug leads on the Magnetrons with radio isolation (shielded) rated wires...as this is the big difference between the Mags and electronic ignition system.

Hopefully others who have experienced this similar problem and fixed it can chime in!
Scott Meyer
Sonex 1629 - Sold...9/2019
ScottM-Sonex1629

Postby Brett » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:13 pm

I replaced the leads with supressed cable and a NGK joiner right near the Magnetrons on my first Aerovee. This fixed the noise instantly. The radio was an Icom A210.
My second aerovee in the Sonex with an MGL radio has been perfect with no noise since brand new with the magnetrons as normal .... I had the MGL harness made for me. The first plane I made the harness myself. Perhaps thats something to do with it?
Sonex 1645
VH-VWS
Tailwheel
Former Aerovee Turbo
Rotax 912
Brett

Postby ScottM-Sonex1629 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:29 pm

Brett wrote:I replaced the leads with supressed cable and a NGK joiner right near the Magnetrons on my first Aerovee. This fixed the noise instantly. The radio was an Icom A210.
My second aerovee in the Sonex with an MGL radio has been perfect with no noise since brand new with the magnetrons as normal .... I had the MGL harness made for me. The first plane I made the harness myself. Perhaps thats something to do with it?

Brett, I’ve looked at doing that with the Mags. Glad to hear that worked.

At least on my radio the harness was made by MGL for the Sonex...bought the whole package from the Folks at Sonex...
Scott Meyer
ScottM-Sonex1629

Postby gammaxy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:22 am

Have you tried a handheld radio or another radio not attached to the airplane? That might help narrow down how the noise is getting into your radio (through the antenna or power bus).

I also have a MGL v6 and don't notice any noise from the magnetrons, but I do get a little from the secondary ignition.
Chris Madsen
Aerovee Sonex N256CM
Flying since September 2014
Build log: http://chrismadsen.org
gammaxy

Postby ScottM-Sonex1629 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:26 am

Not tying to hijack the OP’s thread...

Yes I tried my handheld transceiver and had the same results. By doing this I was able to confirm it was the Mags, and the noise was no being transmitted via aircraft wiring. These were all things that Matt @ MGL had me check this past summer. Bottom line, when the Mags are turned off, the noise goes away.
Scott Meyer
ScottM-Sonex1629

Postby Sonex422 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:48 pm

Did you physically ground the magnetrons per Sonex instructions?

I don't have any ignition noise in my sonex.

Regards,
Detlev
SW Michigan

Sonex, first flight 2013
Standard Gear, Center Stick
Aerovee
I-Level 3AW driven dual I-Pad mini panel
Sonex422

Postby ScottM-Sonex1629 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:39 pm

Wanted to share an update on how I am attempting to resolve the noise generated by the AeroVee B&S Magnetrons. I’ve followed the advice/solution of a few others, and purchased NGK ignition wire splicers, and joined 7mm suppression wires just after the Mags. Attached are a few photos of the product and process.

I’ve not flown yet as I’m doing some winter maintenance at the same time and need to fix my leaky fuel tank before flying...
Attachments
70E2C6C1-72CF-4A39-8DDD-42ED46C66775.jpeg
E6053273-1AD8-44E7-87C2-735F3D993193.jpeg
Scott Meyer
ScottM-Sonex1629

Return to General Discussion