Aerovee parts supplier

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Aerovee parts supplier

Postby Area 51% » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:58 am

We ordered our Aerovee engine kit during Oshkosh 2017 (Airventure?) Delivery was scheduled for late September and a good deal of the kit was received on the 28th. Several quite important parts, like the carb and ignition mount, however, were back-ordered.

A month later we received the exhaust pipes..........but still no pretty red parts.

An inquiry a couple of weeks ago as to the whereabouts of the missing parts prompted a "still backordered" response. No explanation as to why the parts aren't available, (I'm actually quite understanding given the chance) just a "not yet".
My question to the masses is weather or not others that ordered their engines after the fly-in have received their full kits? If someone is going to get screwed, history has taught it's going to be me; as witnessed by the rusty crankshaft that came with the kit. (That has been resolved, but involved a trip to the factory).

It would have been nice if the factory had given me a heads-up that parts might not be available for 5 months or longer so I could have, at least, had the option of making a different choice of power-plants. Maybe they should pull the Aerovee ads till they can actually produce an engine kit. The check cleared..........I guess that's the important part.

Sorry about this "squeaky wheel" thread, but Sonex seems to respond to this site better than on an individual basis.

!!(<?"{+^%$##@(<>:;..!!?/ ' here @Area 51%
Area 51%

Re: Aerovee parts supplier

Postby Rynoth » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:25 am

Sounds quite frustrating, that's an awful long time to have back-ordered parts...
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby WaiexN143NM » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:12 pm

Hi randy,
Happy holidays. Hang in there ! Some time at the sonexbuilders bbq at osh we'll have to give you the preserverance award.
Sounds like you have everything now except the red annodized stuff. I think sonex contracts out to one individual to due that. Something may have happened, i hope dave is doing well.
Did you get a new crankshaft?

Keep at it!

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby Area 51% » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:52 pm

That's affirmative on the new crank. Kerry thought I should polish the rust off the shaft or send it back for evaluation. It would have turned into that "one man's trash is another man's treasure" thing I'm sure. I wasn't going to fly behind that unit, so we drove it up to Oshkosh from northern Florida for a replacement. Nothing less would do for me.

Couldn't be happier with the replacement.

Don't get me started on the case.

Inspecting, detecting, rejecting, correcting here @Area 51%
Last edited by Area 51% on Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Area 51%

Postby lutorm » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:19 pm

Area 51% wrote:Inspecting, detecting, rejecting, correcting here @Area 51%

That seems to be the story with VW parts in general, not just the ones coming through Sonex...
lutorm

Postby kmacht » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:11 am

I had a similar issue back when I ordered my aerovee many years ago. It took about 6 months before I received the kit as a number of the "red" parts were on backorder. I think a lot of it has to do with having only a single supplier for some parts. If that supplier gets behind and they have already shipped everything in their warehouse you are out of luck until they run the next batch. My only suggestion is to keep e-mailing and calling each week asking for updates. Sonex has been slow (and expensive) to ship and their quality control questionable at best but everyone I know has always been made good by them in the end.

Keith
kmacht

Postby Gordon » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:29 am

AeroVee engine parts kit snafu.........

Sounds frustrating........I decided against building my own engine and went with the Hummel 2400 85 hp which was actually $450.00 cheaper at $7050.00. I didn't choose it because it was cheaper but rather because Scott Casler builds it, then puts it on a test stand and runs it to check out the parameters (oil leaks, hp etc). I am more comfortable with an engine built by a professional engine builder than for me doing my first engine build.

I haven't flown mine yet........should fly in 2018 but my expectations are high.

The down side to the Hummel engine was the long wait (lead time) of 6 months but I knew this and simply ordered it well in advance of needing it so it was a "non issue" for me.

Gordon.......Onex......Hummel 2400
Gordon

Postby Area 51% » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:49 pm

Yeah.............like I said..........knowing what I know now.............

I'm hoping Sonex is going to pony-up the cost of shipping if the parts are ever available. It cost $400 and change to get the engine kit here. I spent over $400 to get a new leading edge here a while ago, and requested they also ship the back ordered parts with it. All I got was the exhaust.
Area 51%

Postby Area 51% » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:34 am

While doing a dry-run assembly of the parts I actually have in my possession, I ran into an interesting interference. The top oil cooler adapter is not tall enough for the cooler to clear the bolt-boss holding the case halves together. Not wishing to bother Sonex with my petty problems, I'm planning on grinding away enough material on the case to allow the cooler to lie flat. Can someone measure the thickness of their cooler adapter and report back please. Mine would have to be about 1/16in thicker to allow clearance.

Anyone else run across this problem? Left unnoticed, it doesn't seem like it would take long to wear a hole through the cooler. At the very least, a leak at the seals seems probable.

Butt/Head-scratching never in short supply here @Area 51%
Area 51%

Postby wolfpack3 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:49 pm

I have had very good results using this supplier for VW parts http://www.kustom1warehouse.net/
Stuart knows his business very well and is very accommodating. Of course he doesn't carry the "red parts" but I purchased a set of cylinders/pistons from him and they were shipped/delivered very quickly and are still running fine on my bird after 110hrs.

Wolfpack3
Onex
Aerovee
Taildragger
wolfpack3

Next

Return to General Discussion