Corrosion Protection

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Corrosion Protection

Postby aerobat » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:19 pm

Been a member here for a while, mostly reading threads.

Going to look at a Onex project next week for sale several hundred miles from the Ocean. I'm in the Charlotte NC area over 200 miles from the Ocean. Noticed the Onex project photos did not have anything applied for corrosion. After reading threads here, understand several builds do not have corrosion treatment. Wanted to be sure I'm understanding correctly that corrosion proofing has not been used on several projects if the airplane will not built/located in salt water areas.

Also any other advice will be appreciated for looking at this project. Project progress is close to a quick build kit without engine/propeller/instruments. My experience so far, owned a couple of Cessna 150s and built wing spars with center section for a Thatcher CX4 with solid rivets and 6061T6 sheet & angle.

Thanks,

Bill
Bill
aerobat

Re: Corrosion Protection

Postby mike.smith » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:37 pm

aerobat wrote:Been a member here for a while, mostly reading threads.

Going to look at a Onex project next week for sale several hundred miles from the Ocean. I'm in the Charlotte NC area over 200 miles from the Ocean. Noticed the Onex project photos did not have anything applied for corrosion. After reading threads here, understand several builds do not have corrosion treatment. Wanted to be sure I'm understanding correctly that corrosion proofing has not been used on several projects if the airplane will not built/located in salt water areas.

Also any other advice will be appreciated for looking at this project. Project progress is close to a quick build kit without engine/propeller/instruments. My experience so far, owned a couple of Cessna 150s and built wing spars with center section for a Thatcher CX4 with solid rivets and 6061T6 sheet & angle.

Thanks,

Bill

6061T6 is about as corrosion resistant as you can get. While ocean environments would benefit greatly from corrosion protection, it's not really a concern for most other locations. I have a polished airplane with no corrosion protection. I'm 25 miles from the Atlantic ocean. After nearly four years, annual inspections have turned up zero corrosion anywhere.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby aerobat » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:50 pm

Mike,

Thanks! Looking forward to completing and flying a Onex!!!!
Bill
aerobat

Postby lutorm » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:15 pm

Our Sonex has been parked outside in Hawaii for several years. While I haven't seen any significant corrosion to any 6061 parts (unlike anything made of steel which is a different story), the wings and fuselage have obvious cosmetic corrosion that takes quite a lot of work to polish out. I haven't seen anything beyond cosmetics though.
lutorm

Postby aerobat » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:25 pm

lutorm,

Appreciate your reply. Will look this project over closely!

Thanks,
Bill
aerobat

Postby WaiexN143NM » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:00 am

Hi all,
We used duplicolor self etching primer med green ( kragen/o'rielly auto) on our waiex build. Scotch brite, acetone wipe then the primer. For second hand projects or flying airplanes with no primer , possibly acf-50 spray might be an option.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby aerobat » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:15 am

WaiexN143NM wrote:Hi all,
We used duplicolor self etching primer med green ( kragen/o'rielly auto) on our waiex build. Scotch brite, acetone wipe then the primer. For second hand projects or flying airplanes with no primer , possibly acf-50 spray might be an option.

WaiexN143NM
Michael

Michael,

Good tip. Been wondering about coating interior parts if already built.

Thanks,
Bill
aerobat

Postby daleandee » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:15 am

aerobat wrote:
WaiexN143NM wrote:For second hand projects or flying airplanes with no primer , possibly acf-50 spray might be an option.

Michael,

Good tip. Been wondering about coating interior parts if already built.

ACF-50 is some really good stuff and, as Michael pointed out, can be used on finished aircraft.

https://www.amazon.com/ACF-50-Anti-Corrosion-Lubricant-Compound-Aerosol/dp/B000P1C8UO

Be aware that if you plan to paint or polish that after you apply the ACF-50 it will seep out of crevices for a few days. Some shops use it to "fog" into completed aircraft. It's not a permanent fix as it has to be redone every two years, if memory serves me correctly.

Dale Williams
N319WF @ 6J2
Myunn - "daughter of Cleanex"
120 HP - 3.0 Corvair
Tail Wheel - Center Stick
Signature Finish 2200 Paint Job
165.2 hours / Status - Flying
Member # 109 - Florida Sonex Association
daleandee

Postby aerobat » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:16 am

daleandee wrote:Be aware that if you plan to paint or polish that after you apply the ACF-50 it will seep out of crevices for a few days. Some shops use it to "fog" into completed aircraft. It's not a permanent fix as it has to be redone every two years, if memory serves me correctly.

Dale

Dale,

Yep, it's good for up to 2 years. We used to "fog" interior surfaces of the Aerobat I owned, too. Don't remember what product we used on the Aerobat.

Thanks,
Bill
aerobat

Return to General Discussion