3D printable stick grip

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: 3D printable stick grip

Postby ihab » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:16 am

It is possible to make "structural" parts for some very, very weak value of "structural". And you need to do it the same way porcupines make love -- very, very carefully. 3D printed parts are layered, of course, and the adhesion between the layers is not as strong as the material in the other two directions, so the orientation of the print is important. You may want to glue or screw differently oriented parts together, to get the properties you want. Eventually, you will figure out what you need. For example, this is a gadget I made to mount stuff onto a C172 strut:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/taJt41K6LU8bMJ9u1

and here it is in use:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/IpL5CvpJZHe26b9q2

The key to success was to print the parts in the orientation you see, and use the 1/2" fiberglass rods (epoxied in on one side) to create these portions that cannot be easily printed.

It takes some practice and trial and error. I would not be afraid to make parts then break them to get a feel for how strong they are.

Good luck!

Ihab
Ihab Awad, San Jose, CA
ihab

Postby Sonex1243 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:32 am

EdW wrote:Other than 'gee, whiz' 'look at what I made' trinkets, (with a very occasional useful part) what do you make with your printer?

Ed

I am also an avid builder and flyer of RC aircraft, been eyeing one for some time to print up some sweet flying models that are out there now. I plan to use this one a lot.
Ken S
SONEX #1243 N424SX (reserved)
Tail complete, wings done
Fuselage on gear
Jab 3300 received!
Sonex1243

Postby kevinh » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:34 am

DCASonex wrote:Also have been looking at 3D printers and wondering what solid modeling CAD program are you using, and what would you recommend for an old fart that has used only 2D CAD for last 30+ years.

David A.

I use Onshape. It is free (for non private files), huge number of features, 100% browser based so works on any computer and they have great tutorials. For instance, here is the editable design file for that stick grip I made:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d86e2 ... c272c03592

I'm an old sw geek and had never used any cad prior. Going through their first tutorial took a day, but after that I knew the basics.
Last edited by kevinh on Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Taildragger Waiex in progress, tail done, wings done, about to mate wings to fuse,
then cowl, canopy, paint (photos): flush rivets, turbo aerovee, acro ailerons
(I built my RV7A and happily flew it for about 500 hrs)
kevinh

Postby kevinh » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:40 am

EdW wrote:Other than 'gee, whiz' 'look at what I made' trinkets, (with a very occasional useful part) what do you make with your printer?

Ed

For me 3d printing was a sw gig at first (some contract work on the embedded firmware used in the printers), so the printer was 'free' ;-). Things I've made:

[*]This stick grip (custom for my hand and if I want to add buttons later I can). Printed in wood composite.
[*]Flap handle grip
[*]Navlight mounts to fit my sonex wingtips and my navlights (to get the right angle)
[*]A flexible insert for the fuel filler neck which should hopefully keep gas out of the cabin
[*]Replacement post tops for my fence
[*]Firmer bushings for the engine mount (not sure yet if I will use them, trying the sonex bushings first)
[*]A cellphone mount custom for my mini cooper
[*]Plastic fittings for mounting cables with quickties

But mostly just an interesting hobby.
Taildragger Waiex in progress, tail done, wings done, about to mate wings to fuse,
then cowl, canopy, paint (photos): flush rivets, turbo aerovee, acro ailerons
(I built my RV7A and happily flew it for about 500 hrs)
kevinh

Postby lutorm » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:53 pm

DCASonex wrote:Also have been looking at 3D printers and wondering what solid modeling CAD program are you using, and what would you recommend for an old fart that has used only 2D CAD for last 30+ years.

David A.

I'm using Fusion 360. Free for hobbyist/small business use, quite capable, and the integrated CAM is a huge bonus for me since I'm also using it for my CNC mill.
lutorm

Postby lutorm » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:04 pm

Ed

I don't make trinkets, all I use my printer for is functional parts. Some examples:
If you're making things with CNC, it's also often very useful to be able to quickly print a prototype to test that what you've designed will work.
lutorm

Postby EdW » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:17 pm

See, this is what I mean...I think it would be really, really neat to pop off a stick grip and handles, but I, unlike you, don't have the need for such a wonderful piece of equipment. It would just wind up being another little used piece of expensive tooling taking space in my already cluttered shop, costing money I could have used on airplane parts.

If I was doing something like you, and possibly some other on the list are doing, it might be a good investment. For people like me, what would you charge to make me a custom grip?

Ed
EdW

Postby peter anson » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:44 am

As others have pointed out, 3D printers, the ones we can afford anyway, are pretty limited for making structural parts, but it is possible. I made spare nylon blades for a little electric weed trimmer that my wife uses - that's a pretty high stress application. Their best use is for making non-structural parts that would be difficult or impossible to make with normal tooling. Here's my latest - a fitting to change the viewing angle of the MGL panel in my Sonex from 30 degrees to 15 degrees. It also incorporates a hood.
Now don't be rude and suggest that it's about time I made a whole new panel. This was a fudge fix, but it works.
Peter
peter anson

Postby Brett » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:48 am

Still love the vents Peter.... work well.....

Certainly not just another trinket either...
Sonex 1645
VH-VWS
Tailwheel
Former Aerovee Turbo
Rotax 912
Brett

Postby kmacht » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:17 am

EdW wrote:See, this is what I mean...I think it would be really, really neat to pop off a stick grip and handles, but I, unlike you, don't have the need for such a wonderful piece of equipment. It would just wind up being another little used piece of expensive tooling taking space in my already cluttered shop, costing money I could have used on airplane parts.

If I was doing something like you, and possibly some other on the list are doing, it might be a good investment. For people like me, what would you charge to make me a custom grip?

Ed

There are companies out there that will take a 3d model you provide and print you a part at a reasonable cost. Shapeways is one.

Keith
kmacht

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion