Where does the wind blow?

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Where does the wind blow?

Postby Area 51% » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:11 am

First off..........I'm not going to install a LRI unless mandated by the FAA. Period. I'm pretty well informed about how they are going to single-handedly save the planet, but I'm not going there.

What I do intend to install is an old-fashioned stall warning horn (think Cessna) that relies on suction from the leading edge to activate a reed-style horn. I've already tested the horn going down the road in the Buick and by using the wife's vacuum cleaner.

What I need to know is approximately where the stagnation point on the leading edge is during a wing stall. Has anybody "tufted" their leading edge to gather that info that they could share, or is it published somewhere?

Hiatus season is over here @ Area 51%
Area 51%

Re: Where does the wind blow?

Postby gammaxy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:44 am

I also like the reed-style horns.

I believe locating it at the location of the stagnation point as determined by tuft testing would be wrong by an inch or so. The stagnation point is a high pressure area (just like the front of a pitot tube). That is where you would install the switch style sensor.

The point you really want is one that becomes low pressure relative to the cabin and is probably an inch or two ahead of the stagnation point. Probably close to but slightly below the leading edge.

Here's a video that shows the relation between pressure and flow streamlines.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edZLT9eymIk

You could probably get close by copying the placement from another airplane, but the Sonex is different enough that I'm not sure you could do it without needing to adjust the placement slightly.
Chris Madsen
Aerovee Sonex N256CM
Flying since September 2014
Build log: http://chrismadsen.org
gammaxy

Postby Gordon » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:35 am

I wonder if you used the same location for your stall warning that Van's uses on their RV's? It would likely get your pretty close to where you need to be.

Just a thought...............

Gordon.....Onex.....Hummel 2400
Gordon

Postby sonex1374 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:00 am

You could build a test article and try out several locations. I'm envisioning a leading edge section like the Sonex Workshop project. This section could then be modified to hold the reed switch and held out the car window to gather some data on the airflow. It will be an approximation, but it will likely be a quick and easy way to develop a plan without access to a flying Sonex for tuft testing.

Jeff
Jeff Shultz
Sonex TD, 3300, AeroInjector
Kansas City, MO
http://www.sonex604.com
sonex1374

Postby Area 51% » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:00 pm

I thought about the workshop leading edge, but there might be some influence from the rest of the wing that would require it's presence. In fact, I believe tufts might be required on the complete wing surface to show when the stall occurs to get placement of the port correct.

I also thought about using the area of the wing that is destined to have the landing light as a test-bed. It would require a flying airplane and a landing light that is retro-fittable to cover the hole left by the adjustable test port. I already have the conduit run. Are the landing lights that are available, such as Duckworks, set up to allow fitment on an assembled wing?

I'm also wondering if the airfoil (the number escapes me), as used on the Waiex, might already have that information available.

Keep the info coming to the uneducated here @ Area 51%.
Area 51%

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:05 pm

You could take the Cessna air vent approach. A cover over a larger hole.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Rick524 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:24 pm

Does a Grumman Tiger have a stall horn? They have the same airfoil as a Sonex, maybe
you could copy it's position.

Rick
Sonex 524
Rick524

Postby Spaceman » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:57 pm

Area 51% wrote: Are the landing lights that are available, such as Duckworks, set up to allow fitment on an assembled wing?

I installed duckworks lights while I was building my wings and while having the wingtip off definitely made it easier, I think you could install them on a completed wing. They definitely advertise that you can!
Chris Paegelow
N21YX / Waiex-B #21 / Roseville, CA
http://paegelow.blogspot.com/
Spaceman

Postby Gordon » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:34 pm

Yes you can install them on a finished wing. I have done it on 2 different RV's and it was not too hard a job. It IS easier to do it during assembly of the wing, mainly for routing the wiring.

Gordon......Onex....Hummel 2400
Gordon

Postby Area 51% » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:00 am

Conduits and other provisions have been built into the wing to accommodate any future lighting (except the lens cut-out) as well as the pneumatic line for the stall horn. So from where I stand, it appears, from what I've seen on build sites, if I have a surgeon add an extra wrist to my left arm, I should be able to install the landing/taxi light post-assembly?
Area 51%

Return to General Discussion