Is This Repairable?

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Is This Repairable?

Postby Direct C51 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:41 pm

Hi guys, so as noted in a previous thread, I managed to crack my canopy within a month of my first flight using some 70% Isopropyl Alcohol to wipe it clean. Has anyone repaired their canopy after similar cracking? My plan is to stop drill each individual crack the best that I can. I then plan to attach a plexiglass "doubler" on the underside of the cracked area using clear silicone. I'm hoping I can fly with this canopy until I get some down time to replace it. Any insight would be appreciated.

IMG_3066.JPG

IMG_3067.JPG

IMG_3071.JPG
Direct C51

Re: Is This Repairable?

Postby fastj22 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:09 pm

I would just replace it. You've spent enough time, blood and coin to have a near perfect ship. In the grand scheme, a new canopy isn't that expensive. Just my two cents and worth every penny.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby Direct C51 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:41 pm

I agree about the replacement. However, after building for 3 years and essentially just having to rivet the fiberglass on and go fly, the last thing I want to do is wait for shipping, then fit a new canopy. I'm just looking for a temporary fix until I get the motivation to trim a new canopy.
Direct C51

Postby jeff0196 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:00 pm

Here is a good video:

http://www.eaavideo.org/detail/video/4930355377001/patching-plexiglass?autoStart=true&q=plexiglass

Sounds like you're on the right path to me. Make a repair until you have the time to make a new one.
Jeffrey W
Waiex 0196
AeroVee Turbo
jeff0196

Postby fastj22 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:14 pm

Direct C51 wrote:I agree about the replacement. However, after building for 3 years and essentially just having to rivet the fiberglass on and go fly, the last thing I want to do is wait for shipping, then fit a new canopy. I'm just looking for a temporary fix until I get the motivation to trim a new canopy.

I'm not saying don't fly it like it is, just start the wheels of replacement in motion. And don't let it drag you down. Stuff happens.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby kevinh » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:25 pm

Also - if you happen to be in norcal I accidentally ticked the 'include two canopies' option when I ordered my Waiex so I might have a spare.
Taildragger Waiex in progress, tail done, wings done, about to mate wings to fuse,
then cowl, canopy, paint (photos): flush rivets, turbo aerovee, acro ailerons
(I built my RV7A and happily flew it for about 500 hrs)
kevinh

Postby Direct C51 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:48 am

Thanks for the encouragement guys. This has really brought me down. I think mostly because I am so close to being complete and ready to fly, and it was just such a stupid preventable mistake. I had been saying for weeks that I was going to get a sheet to put over the windscreen to keep the dust off, which would have prevented the overspray, the alcohol, and this whole mess. I think I'll get right to fixing it tomorrow so I can put it behind me, finish painting the fiberglass, and go fly this thing. I would have been pretty much complete with it had I not taken the last week off of building because I couldn't stand to look at it.

Kevin- I sent a PM about the spare canopy. Thank you for the possible offer.
Direct C51

Return to General Discussion