Clarifications on Phil Simon's tips from the ASA site

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Clarifications on Phil Simon's tips from the ASA site

Postby N814W » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:07 am

Can someone clarify where exactly the referenced holes should be and whether this tip is equally applicable to the Onex:

a1. WIRING PASS THROUGH UNDER WING SPARS: You almost certainly will be faced with the problem of how to get wires from behind the main spar to the instrument panel in front of the spars. There is a small amount of space under the spars at both of the outboard sides of the spar tunnel. Drill at least 4 holes through the spar tunnel on each side at the outboard lower edge. Do this before inserting wings. Put a O-ring in each opening. Use these openings to run wires UNDER the main wing spars instead of running the wires OVER the spar tunnel box. I can send you photos of this.

Also, on the referenced CLoc fasteners: Currently I like the Skybolt fasteners with the adjustable receptacle and the phillips head 1/4 turn studs. See http://www.skybolt.com/ (the 1/4 turn fasteners, CLoc Adjustable information section). Their CLoc light duty 2600/2800 series can accommodate different thickness of fiberglass on the cowling.

Can someone recommend a specific part number for the fastener/receptacle combo? Is this intended for both the cowl split and where the upper cowl sits on the glare shield?

Thanks!
C150 driver by day, OneX 204 builder by night.
Empennage done, fuselage in work...
N814W

Re: Clarifications on Phil Simon's tips from the ASA site

Postby jowens » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:33 pm

Restate the recommendation- how do you route fuselage electical wires across the wing spar?
For my sonex I used the hole locations specified for the tri-gear mechanical brakes but bigger holes. These would be challenging holes to make with the floor installed. (Thanks don bowen for the recommendation)

Radio push to talk, antennas, autopilot, tail nav light....
Jim Owens
Dynon HDX1100, dual controls, Viking 110, taildragger
800 Hours, first flight 10-17-2018
jowens

Postby onex28 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:39 pm

N814W, I drilled no holes in my Onex spar for wiring. All my electrics are ahead of the spar. My rudder cables run over the spar and any wiring for antennas will run along the fuselage sides, as does my standard trim cable.

David
onex28

Postby DCASonex » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:35 am

From my records of 5 years ago, the Skybolt fasteners I used are:

Skybolt Aerospace Fasteners, www.skybolt.com
Receptacle part numbers: SK213-2 , 2000 series C and SK213-2D same dimpled.
Stud part number ZG28S3-2 (All studs are same length, adjustment is in receptacles.)
Retaining ring number SK2600-LWS.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby N814W » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:53 am

Thank you, David(s) - that helps a lot! I'm getting close to zipping the forward fuselage together and don't want to overlook useful additions before I do. Leaving the floors in clecos though.

Thanks again, guys!
C150 driver by day, OneX 204 builder by night.
Empennage done, fuselage in work...
N814W

Return to General Discussion