Final Navworx FAA AD

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Final Navworx FAA AD

Postby WaiexN143NM » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:48 pm

Hi all,
See http://www.avweb.com. New headline article today.
Added: just read complete docket. 8 pages. Very detailed. Get a cup of coffee and reading glasses out. Lets see how navworks responds. AD effective july 11 2017. Only one external gps source so far approved.
Added: just looked at navworx website. Looks like $350-600 to upgrade your gps chip thru dallas avionics. Navworx still advertising a garmin gps interface, which is specifically prohibited in the AD. Hang in there andrew, maybe approved later. The faa said they would consider additional gps receivers if data submitted , and gets approved. No word on the -EXP boxes, on navworx site, but they are included in the AD.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Re: Final Navworx FAA AD

Postby andrewp » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:40 pm

(Grumbling noise)

If I can get Dallas on the phone, I would love for them to upgrade it, but so far, no one picks up the phone. Airplanes are like children. Teenage children.
andrewp

Postby mike.smith » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:45 pm

I did get a call back from Scott Edwards at Dallas Avionics. Actually within 2 days of calling and emailing. I paid for the EXP setup but did not receive it. I'm supposed to call him back tomorrow to get the latest scoop. I'll report what I hear.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby andrewp » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:18 pm

If you hear something, I will give him another call and see what is what.
andrewp

Postby WaiexN143NM » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:00 pm

Hi all,
Just to go over this one more time. Looking at the navworx site, and faa docket for the final AD. The only external certified gps posn source that is appvd for use (with navworx products) is the accord nex nav mini lru gps receiver P/N 21000. An alt. Method of compliance AMOC , may be approved if sufficient data is submitted and approved. Navworx is advertizing on their web site a garmin interface , but this has not been appvd. Also a software revision to bring the SIL back to zero, but if you do this you wont get the TIS-B traffic. And then your unit is only good till jan 1 2020. They are advertizing a internal gps chip upgrade , depending on your part #, from $349-599. They dont specify the brand or type chip being used, or even if this new chip has been appvd by the faa. Box upgrades thru dallas avionics starting july 1, 2017. I'd be very careful before spending any money or sending in your boxes for upgrade , until we learn navworx has submitted data and received approval from the faa. The track record from navworx is not good. The internal chip needs to be disclosed. Is it the same chip they are using in the unaffected boxes ? More to come........
Added.: the nex nav mini external unit retail price$800. BUT , the EXP boxes do NOT have an external serial port. The only way to get the EXP boxes to comply would be with an internal gps chip change. Good reading on the vans site on this subject.
If anyone paid and havent received any hardware yet, maybe paying some more $ , and getting a box from navworx that isn't affected by the AD , is your solution.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby mike.smith » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:00 pm

mike.smith wrote:I did get a call back from Scott Edwards at Dallas Avionics. Actually within 2 days of calling and emailing. I paid for the EXP setup but did not receive it. I'm supposed to call him back tomorrow to get the latest scoop. I'll report what I hear.

I spoke to Scott today. He said the EXP and certified models that are already installed will likely get a software update to change the output from SIL3 to SIL1. The units will work for ADSB and weather until January 1, 2020, at which time (or earlier of course) a small new hardware "box" will need to be installed adjacent to the main box. The details are supposedly due out mid-July.

For people like me who gave Navworx money but did not get the hardware, we are supposed to get a fully compliant setup this summer. I'm supposed to get the final details in the next week or two.

Scott and I were playing phone tag for more than a week, but he consistently called me back.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
mike.smith

Postby WaiexN143NM » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:18 am

Hi all,
Had a couple of phone tags with scott edwards dallas avionics. Hes always pleasant and returns calls. For the navworx adsb exp boxes, an additional box size of cigarette pack, with jumper harness to plug into main box. $299, plus upgrade the software. Look for announcement on website this week. Taking orders aug 1, shipping mid august.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby mike.smith » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:53 pm

WaiexN143NM wrote:Hi all,
Had a couple of phone tags with scott edwards dallas avionics. Hes always pleasant and returns calls. For the navworx adsb exp boxes, an additional box size of cigarette pack, with jumper harness to plug into main box. $299, plus upgrade the software. Look for announcement on website this week. Taking orders aug 1, shipping mid august.

WaiexN143NM
Michael

Hi,

When I spoke to Scott he said the additional box was going to be needed for existing -EXP installations. He told me that if you haven't received the hardware yet then it will still all be in one box. Is that what he told you?
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
mike.smith

Postby WaiexN143NM » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:47 pm

Hi all, mike,
Oh thats interesting, my conversation was yes for existing boxes , like i have, so i need the new small additional box. Good to hear new boxes will come already converted into the main box. Will look at website everyday and post when i see the announcement. See u at osh17,
Best regards,

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Return to General Discussion