Seatbelts for Sonex Aircraft

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Seatbelts for Sonex Aircraft

Postby timschlappi » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:38 pm

Hey everyone! First of all let me introduce myself. My name is Tim Schlappi and I am a FAA Master Parachute Rigger and Co-Owner of Total Parachute Rigging Solutions, LLC. I am not a pilot, but I do lots of sewing stuff for experimental aircraft (custom seat belts, side panels, seat cushions, etc...).

I have a question regarding some seat belts that I am making for a customer of mine, but they are out of town for the next couple months and I am unable to get to his airplane while he is gone. I need to get some measurements so that I can make his new seatbelts and have them ready for when he returns. I hope you all could please help me with this question? Please see attached photo so you will be able to see what dimensions I need.

https://www.facebook.com/totalparachuterigging/photos/a.244980205666959.1073741829.244968205668159/950669101764729/?type=3&theater

This is my first set of seatbelts for a Sonex, and I hope to be doing more in the future.

Thanks for all your help.

Tim Schlappi
FAA Master Rigger
C0-Owner Total Parachute Rigging Solutions, LLC
https://www.tprsllc.com
tim@tprsllc.com
Tim Schlappi
Total Parachute Rigging Solutions, LLC
Co-Owner / FAA Master Parachute Rigger
#3148247 Symbol UZV
timschlappi

Re: Seatbelts for Sonex Aircraft

Postby garyb » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:38 pm

Hi Tim
The shoulder harnesses are 68" on the maximum extended length, according to the plans. I am also looking for some seat belts as Sonex have stopped supplying them.
Cheers Gary.
Sonex #1531 Rotax 912ULS. 250 hours and counting.
garyb

Postby jowens » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:47 pm

Hi Tim
Great to hear we may have another option for seat belts in the future. The mounting bolt for the seat belt is forward of the former you requested a measurement from. The center of the bolt to the preceding form is 19.5". The mount bolt to seat back center is 40.5"
20170413_213332small.jpg
Jim Owens
Dynon HDX1100, dual controls, Viking 110, taildragger
660 Hours, first flight 10-17-2018
jowens

Postby timschlappi » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:59 pm

Hey guys! Thanks for the replies on this. I am sure of the measurement we need for his belts now. We are doing a shorter version of belt, but mounting to the same original location. We are going to do a cable with nicopress swage on one end and on the other will be a regular end-fitting that the webbing attaches to. This reduces the amount of webbing needed by about 36 inches per shoulder strap, and makes for an easy removal of the end-fitting in the event you need to have the webbing replaced on the belt. All you would have to to is unbolt the end-fitting that is in between the rear of the seat and next cross-member. I will be sure to post some pictures when complete.

Please keep in mind that we will be doing seat belts for other people in the very near future, as we are getting all the pieces and processes together.

Just a heads up, these seat belts will be completely custom to your color of webbing, color of pads, color of binding tape on the pads, and contrast stitching if wanted.

Again, thanks for all the help on this.

Tim
Tim Schlappi
#3148247 Symbol UZV
timschlappi

Postby drPete » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:52 am

Tim,

The description sounds like a practical modification to the standard setup. Would you send/post some photos when complete? I am close to installing seat belts and am interested in purchasing a complet kit.

Color choices sounds even more attractive. Could you do red and yellow webbing?

Pete
Xenos.N25XB@gmail.com
Pete
Xenos-B s/n XNB0010
xenos.n25xb@gmail.com

drPete

Postby timschlappi » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:00 pm

drPete.... I sure can. any combination of those colors will be available. That being said, give me some time to get some sample pictures together and I will get some posted up here for you guys.

Tim
Tim Schlappi
#3148247 Symbol UZV
timschlappi

Postby timschlappi » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:19 pm

Hey everyone! We here at TPRS know that there was a lost in the seat belt market a year or so ago, and we wanted to let you all know that we are trying to fill that gap. We are currently making seat belts, custom to your measurements and colors for SONEX aircraft. They are not the cheapest on the market, and they are not the most expensive either. Our belts are mid-range priced. If you are interested, please stop by our website and shoot us an email via the "Request Information Section" at the bottom of our Services and support tab and we will email you the custom order form. Also, if you have any question, all of our contact information is on our Facebook page as well as our website. https:/www.tprsllc.com

Tim
Attachments
Cerberus Order Form1.pdf
Order form for our new seat belts.
(449.51 KiB) Downloaded 137 times
Tim Schlappi
#3148247 Symbol UZV
timschlappi

Return to General Discussion