Plans for an Aerovee Turbo heat muff for cabin heat.

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Plans for an Aerovee Turbo heat muff for cabin heat.

Postby lgsievila » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:38 am

Mike-Gregg,
A guy that lives near me made these and sells directly and through AirWard. When I got the last 2 from him for a buddy in Canada, he sad he was going to quit making them as he was just tired of the side job. AirWard still has them listed for 150 bucks but you would have to check and see if he still has any in stock. They are for 1 3/8 " exhaust pipe.

The one I have won't fit on my CAMit so if you want it, 100 bucks plus shipping.

Loren Sievila
Conventional Gear Onex33
CAMit 2200
Dynon Skyview
lgsievila

Postby Fastcapy » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:38 am

Mike Smith, I have a heat muff very similar to yours on my aerovee. It is mounted on the forward right pipe, just below the bend. It is packed with stainless steel mesh. I am using 1.5" scat on the system and it seems to work pretty good. I take air from the baffle in front of the front right cylinder.

I tested it at right around 30f and it was plenty to keep my feet warm. The next day was cloudy with temps around 40f and it was actually too warm and I had to shut it off and open fresh air vents. I could feel warm air blowing when I placed my hand on the front lip of the passenger seat.

I have a substantial draft coming in from the root ribs, and think once I get that sealed up a bit my heat should keep it comfortable to 20f. When it gets below 20f I usually don't fly anyway. So that is fine for me.
Mike Beck
Oshkosh, WI (KOSH)
Sonex #1145 N920MB
Std Gear, Modified Aerovee, Rotec TBI, Dual Stick, Acro Ailerons
MGL Panel
Airworthiness: 10/24/13, First Flight: 05/18/14
Fastcapy

Postby Onex107 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:25 am

This may not apply to you Turbo guys because your manifolds are different, but, I added a heat muff to my Onex Aerovee that is home made/designed and works fairly well. It's a rectangular box, simple break bending, with end caps screwed on. Make it as long as you can. It gets a little tight up near the head, but be sure to include the "Y" joint, the hottest part of the manifold. With a square/rectangular shaped muff you can add baffles inside to redirect the air up and down past the pipe. I didn't add springs and it does a good job. You can seal the end caps with red silicone, the muff doesn't get that hot. The fire wall valve is the one with the flapper in it and I don't control it from the cockpit. I just loosen the nut on the flapper arm and lock it open in the winter and closed in in the spring. The RV side vents take care of the times when the sun is really warm. The source of cold air from the tail cone and the wing roots must be closed off for one muff this size to work.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Postby mike.smith » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:15 pm

Fastcapy wrote:Mike Smith, I have a heat muff very similar to yours on my aerovee. It is mounted on the forward right pipe, just below the bend. It is packed with stainless steel mesh. I am using 1.5" scat on the system and it seems to work pretty good. I take air from the baffle in front of the front right cylinder.

I tested it at right around 30f and it was plenty to keep my feet warm. The next day was cloudy with temps around 40f and it was actually too warm and I had to shut it off and open fresh air vents. I could feel warm air blowing when I placed my hand on the front lip of the passenger seat.

I have a substantial draft coming in from the root ribs, and think once I get that sealed up a bit my heat should keep it comfortable to 20f. When it gets below 20f I usually don't fly anyway. So that is fine for me.

Mike:

I'd really love to see some photos under the cowl whenever you get a chance. 'Cause what I'm doing doesn't work at all, even though it sounds similar to yours. What exactly is the stainless mesh? I'm really glad to hear a couple people have something that works. It gives me hope anyway.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby Fastcapy » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:59 am

Mike Smith, I will try to get out there today or tomorrow and take some picks.

The stuff I used is like choreboy, but it isn't as fine, more of a mesh with larger openings, if that makes sense. I honestly don't remember where I found it. I stumbled upon it on day a few years ago and picked it up because I figured it would be good for this project. (yes, I have been planning on installing the heat for 2 years and just finally got around to it... Lol)
Mike Beck
Oshkosh, WI (KOSH)
Sonex #1145 N920MB
Std Gear, Modified Aerovee, Rotec TBI, Dual Stick, Acro Ailerons
MGL Panel
Airworthiness: 10/24/13, First Flight: 05/18/14
Fastcapy

Postby garyno » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:00 pm

lgsievila wrote:Mike-Gregg,
A guy that lives near me made these and sells directly and through AirWard. When I got the last 2 from him for a buddy in Canada, he sad he was going to quit making them as he was just tired of the side job. AirWard still has them listed for 150 bucks but you would have to check and see if he still has any in stock. They are for 1 3/8 " exhaust pipe.

The one I have won't fit on my CAMit so if you want it, 100 bucks plus shipping.

garyno

Postby WaiexN143NM » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:20 pm

Hi all,
We installed 2 heat muffs like these, on our waiex. U can get them at spruce or wicks. We have a jab 3300. They are shorter than these. We wrapped the pipe inside w a spring picked up t the local hardware store, one muff for carb heat, one for cabin heat. We have a rotec tbi. In the install instructions for the rotec it says to provide carb/tbi heat. Yes that a whole new thread and discussion. Listed as cessna style heat muffs. Check the size to see if it fits your install. We also used some heavy screen type mesh each end. Stay warm. Fly safe.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby Gordon » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:43 pm

Heat Muff Dilemma...........I need one for my Onex (90 percent done....??? to go) and I contacted Wardair and Dave Ward said he doesn't stock them any more because he doesn't get enough call for them......(?)

I have a Van's one left over from a previous RV build but it won't work and is too hard to modify.

Aircraft Spruce sells a Turbo Heat Cabin Heat muff p/n 05-15249 for $173.75. The smallest pipe size you can get it 1 1/2" so I ordered that (4 weeks lead time) and am still waiting for it (3 weeks so far). I have a couple 2" long collars that just slip over the 1 3/8" exhaust pipe to give a 1 1/2" O.D. for the heat muff....this should work okay. We will see.

Gordon.......Onex 0024....Hummel 2400
Gordon

Previous

Return to General Discussion