Red Cube or Gold Cube Fuel Transducer?

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Red Cube or Gold Cube Fuel Transducer?

Postby rdsafe » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:04 am

For those of you who have installed a fuel transducer; which one is working for you?

I'm using the AeroVee engine, which uses a gravity feed fuel system. The Dynon people tell me that you can use the Red Cube transducer with this setup.
Electronics International, the manufacture of these units, states that you have to use the Gold Cube transducer when you have a gravity feed fuel system. Further, it is stated in the installation instructions that the fuel line needs to run uphill after leaving the transducer. Which means it has to be installed forward of the firewall.

For those of you who have installed one of these units; which one did you install and have there been any problems?

My thanks to all who respond.

Richard
Sonex serial #: 1331
rdsafe

Re: Red Cube or Gold Cube Fuel Transducer?

Postby sonex1374 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:17 pm

This has come up several times in the past. Many people, including me, have had good luck with the Red Cube. I installed mine right after the ball shutoff valve inside the cockpit. It works great there...very smooth delivery to the sensor, and dead-nuts accurate.

For more info, there is a SonexFlight podcast on the general subject of fuel systems.

http://www.sonexflight.com/2/index.html

Jeff
Jeff Shultz
Sonex TD, 3300, AeroInjector
Kansas City, MO
http://www.sonex604.com
sonex1374

Postby jjbardell » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:55 pm

I know there are a lot of options on this, but I believe only the red cube works properly. Although it says it is for fuel injected, it works fine for gravity fed. The flow of the line should be downhill the entire way, no uphill runs at all. Be sure to put a heat sleeve from exiting the firewall to the aero injector to eliminate any burbs.

The gold cube ratings are: 3-125gph. It won't even work below 3gph
The red cube ratings are: 0.6-70gph. It works perfect for me and MGL avionics says the red it the one to use.
Building: [11323] Zenith 750 CruzerDuty27.5 / O-320 [Instagram Build Log: Zenith750CruzerSTOL]
N67LJ - Vans RV-9A #90504 (SOLD)
N83LJ - Sonex #0864 (SOLD)
https://rvpilotlife.wordpress.com/blog/home/
jjbardell

Postby mike.smith » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:21 am

The company swore up and down that the Gold Cube is the one to use for the AeroVee (gravity feed). I have a Gold Cube on the engine-side of the firewall and it doesn't work worth a darn. I've contacted the company and they don't have any bright ideas why it isn't accurate at all. Useless extra weight at the moment.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby WaiexN143NM » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:39 am

Hi all,
We have the red cube mounted firewall cockpit side. Dynon skyview. Works well, gravity feed only.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby LarryEWaiex121 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:26 pm

And my Red Cube is installed on the firewall forward side. My install uses the standard Usher gascolator, forward and out of that into the fuel cube.
Basically, a classic, plans shown install for everything except the Red Fuel cube.
My install has been trouble free for 500 hrs and my readings are about .10-.15 GPH on the pessimistic side. My fuel flow normally shows about 5.5-5.6 in cruise but the actual fuel burn on fill up is running right at 5.4GPH. That is approx. .2 GPH less than my Jabiru 3300.
I believe that the Red Fuel Cube measures fuel bubbles the same as dense fuel and that accounts for the variance in quantity used, vs. measured?
That's my guess anyways.

Larry
Waiex121YX, Camit 3300, Skyview
LarryEWaiex121

Postby Bruce593SX » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:04 pm

I have not done my first start, but am finally getting close, I have the old grey fuel flow sensor, is there anything wrong with using that one?
Bruce Johnson
Sonex 593 AeroVee Turbo
Plans building near San Antonio, TX
Bruce593SX

Postby fastj22 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:21 pm

I was getting erratic readings with my Red Cube and MGL xTreme. Flow would jump to 12 GPH during climb out, I know we can't even possibly consume that amount. Then would stabilize in cruise. It was mounted firewall forward right after the gascolator.
I recently purchased a FlowScan and put it right at the tank and had both displayed on my xTreme. The Flowscan read much more consistently. I've since removed the Red Cube and gave it to a friend with a Grand Rapids system. No word from him on how its working out.

BTW, anyone interested in a Belite pressure fuel level probe, I've got one I couldn't get to consistently work with my MGL. Make me an offer.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby Corby202 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:48 pm

I wasted hours trying to get a red cube transducer to read accurately, the only time it did read correctly was when draining fuel into a container. I also removed my Belite fuel level transducer,worked ok for a while but then the fuel level changed from day to day even when not flying, Belite then told me it was not compatible with my MGL.
Phil Bird
Sonex 759 JAB 2.2 Tailwheel
Mittagong NSW Australia
http://www.mykitlog.com/corby202/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78427482@ ... otostream/
Corby202

Postby fastj22 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:33 pm

Corby202 wrote:I wasted hours trying to get a red cube transducer to read accurately, the only time it did read correctly was when draining fuel into a container. I also removed my Belite fuel level transducer,worked ok for a while but then the fuel level changed from day to day even when not flying, Belite then told me it was not compatible with my MGL.

Phil, I think there may be a common thread here. I think the MGL Rdac is highly sensitive to electrical noise and I suspect the jabirus are pretty noisy firewall forward. these fancy meters work fine with guys who don't have the computer sitting on the engine side.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Next

Return to General Discussion