Wheel Casting Problem

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Wheel Casting Problem

Postby Andy Walker » Wed May 23, 2012 11:33 am

Hey guys. I was starting to put together my wheels, and I noticed some problems on the insides of some of the bolt holes. This is not flash, but looks more like a casting problem that appears as small gaps and seams (not really cracks, but they are inset and look like they could easily become cracks). Anyhow here's the pic:

Is this normal? It doesn't look that way to me; seems it would weaken the bolt passthrough area. Put the question to Sonex a couple of days ago, have not received a response yet...just wondering if anybody else has seen anything like this. It appears in both my main gear wheels (on two holes on one and one on another); my nosewheel is fine.
Andy Walker

Re: Wheel Casting Problem

Postby 142YX » Wed May 23, 2012 4:55 pm

Looks to me like poor quality control.. but the entire rim takes the compression load of the bolts, not just the bolt passthrough. I am sure it is strong enough, but it would tick me off to pay a bunch of money for a part that looked that bad.
Waiex # 142 - Taildragger, Jabiru 3300
First Flight - July 13th, 2015
450 hours and counting..
142YX

Postby Andy Walker » Wed May 23, 2012 5:52 pm

142YX wrote:Looks to me like poor quality control.. but the entire rim takes the compression load of the bolts, not just the bolt passthrough. I am sure it is strong enough, but it would tick me off to pay a bunch of money for a part that looked that bad.

Sonex says it's fine, that this is really just a pass through for bolt alignment and not structural. I agree though...a little on the shoddy side.
Andy Walker

Postby N111YX » Wed May 23, 2012 11:05 pm

Part of the problem is that Asuza's are "not a bunch of money"... :lol: Cheap! They are marginally adequate for the job.

I would suggest switching over to AN bolts for the wheels. I have seen a broken Azusa bolt on a Sonex wheel. Those really are cheap bolts. AN5-30A's will do it. Install with the head of the bolts in and nuts out of the wheel for a good fit...
Kip

2010 Waiex 0082 (first flight May 2010)
Jabiru 3300 #1637 and #3035
Dynon D-180
Becker radios
Garmin GDL 82 ADS-B
1050 hours
48 states visited
Based near Atlanta

Also flying a...
2000 Kolb Firestar II, Rotax 503, 575 hours
N111YX

Postby Andy Walker » Thu May 24, 2012 9:30 am

N111YX wrote:Part of the problem is that Asuza's are "not a bunch of money"... :lol: Cheap! They are marginally adequate for the job.

I would suggest switching over to AN bolts for the wheels. I have seen a broken Azusa bolt on a Sonex wheel. Those really are cheap bolts. AN5-30A's will do it. Install with the head of the bolts in and nuts out of the wheel for a good fit...

That's a good idea Kip...I didn't realize the bolts were so cheap. Sounds like some cheap insurance.
Andy Walker

Return to General Discussion