Seeking advice on buying a used kit

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Seeking advice on buying a used kit

Postby jjbardell » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:38 pm

[quote="NWade"]One more "food for thought" item:

jjbardell mentioned buying a kit with an engine. I personally would never do this; or at the very LEAST I'd buy it with the intention of only keeping a few of the engine components (or, with selling only a few components from the engine).

I agree which is exactly why I said sell the motor, motor mount. But it's a mute point because he wants the full build experience. I, on the othehand, was more interested in saving the money so I could afford the turbo and a glass panel. To each their own. That's the beauty of experimental...no one person knows everything or is the God of aviation. It's all opinion.
Building: [11323] Zenith 750 CruzerDuty27.5 / O-320 [Instagram Build Log: Zenith750CruzerSTOL]
N67LJ - Vans RV-9A #90504 (SOLD)
N83LJ - Sonex #0864 (SOLD)
https://rvpilotlife.wordpress.com/blog/home/
jjbardell

Postby sonex892. » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:40 pm

samiam wrote:1. Only the tail has been started. Everything else is untouched. I already finished my own tail, so I wouldn't be relying on anyone else's construction quality.

Untouched even better. Does it come with the hardware kit? That would be another plus.

samiam wrote:2. I definitely want to build. That is the dream for me. I know that it will take years and be very frustrating at times, but it is still the dream.

At this point I am definitely leaning towards picking up this used kit. It will definitely take longer without the matched hole parts, but I will likely be ordering at least some of them from Sonex to help the build.

If your pure ambition is to get in the air ASAP the upgrades are a good way to expedite it. Also good if you don't have the confidence but have the cash. If however your ambition is to build an aircraft, I believe the upgrades are overrated. My opinion only. I would put the money saved into something else like tools, instruments or engine.

In 2009 I bought an unstarted 2005 vintage kit. The only issue I had with buying secondhand, was an inventory one. A couple of weldments were missing from the kit. Being the second owner you will need to make or buy any missing parts.

Steve
Sonex 892
VH-ZSX 198hrs first flight 2010
Sonerai 2LS Plansbuilt
VH-IIS first flight 2003 sold 2008
Steve
Lazair kit 1981 sold
Sonerai 2LS plansbuilt 2003 sold
Sonex kit 2010
Sonerai 2LS project rotax 912
sonex892.

Postby DCASonex » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:08 am

If the price is right, go for it. A big discount will cover things like replacing a canopy. That kit is essentially what I got, no problems, but do check the drawings revision list carefully.

David A. Sonex TD #1327
DCASonex

Postby samiam » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:33 am

The kit includes the hardware as well as some tools and clecos, so it seems to be a pretty good deal to me. I've decided to go for it. Moving truck booked for next Thursday if all works out!

Thanks again for everyone's help and advice, it is much appreciated
Mike L
Sonex #1345
Tail complete
Working on wings
samiam

Postby NWade » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:47 pm

samiam wrote:The kit includes the hardware as well as some tools and clecos, so it seems to be a pretty good deal to me. I've decided to go for it. Moving truck booked for next Thursday if all works out!

Thanks again for everyone's help and advice, it is much appreciated

Good luck!

NOTE: When you get the kit (either there, or when you bring it back home), be sure to inventory it carefully! Sonex sends an itemized list out with each kit, so hopefully the original owner kept that paperwork and you can use it to audit the parts you pick up. If the original owner doesn't have that paperwork anymore, let us know here and maybe the community can help you out.

Also be sure to check the condition of the wing spars (the most-important parts in the kit), and ensure that the plans pages are all complete and in-tact.

Finally, don't forget to call/email the Sonex folks and work through the process of transferring the ownership to your name, so that you can receive parts and support from them after the kit is legally yours. :-)

Take care,

--Noel
NWade

Postby fastj22 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:17 pm

Noel is right. Make sure you transfer ownership of the kit with Sonex. I think they charge $100 for this, but its necessary to be able to buy parts.
I wouldn't worry too much about inventorying the parts when you pickup. You are getting what you are getting at a discount and you will find you may need to replace missing parts down the road. Do a walk around with the owner to see if he stuffed something in a hole somewhere. The big ones are the spar caps. Sonex won't replace those without you sending back proof you destroyed them. So just make sure you get those. Also a full set of plans. Not sure they will send you replacement sheets.

Also don't get too overwhelmed with the amount of stuff. When your run out of stuff to install, you should have an airplane!

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby samiam » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:52 pm

fastj22 wrote:The big ones are the spar caps. Sonex won't replace those without you sending back proof you destroyed them. So just make sure you get those. Also a full set of plans. Not sure they will send you replacement sheets.

Also don't get too overwhelmed with the amount of stuff. When your run out of stuff to install, you should have an airplane!

I know this is a dumb question, but if the spars are pre-assembled, the caps should already be on them, right?

I am just about positive the number of parts will be overwhelming... just gotta take it one part at a time though!
Mike L
Sonex #1345
Tail complete
Working on wings
samiam

Postby fastj22 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:15 pm

Yeah if the spars assembled, you know you have them. That's the one part that Sonex only sells one set per plan.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby DCASonex » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:40 am

On registering the transfer with Sonex: Occasionally see a squawk about the $100 transfer fee. That is one of the biggest bargains around considering the amount of support Sonex provides to each new owner. Get that done first thing.

Invest some of what you saved on the pre-owned kit in whatever tools and work space setup you need to make the build enjoyable. Most of use spend more time building than actually flying our birds. Enjoy the build.

David A. Sonex TD #1327
DCASonex

Postby samiam » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:24 pm

I've got no problem paying the fee, I'm more than happy to play by the rules.

As a side note, does anyone know if the state will come after me for sales tax on this?
Mike L
Sonex #1345
Tail complete
Working on wings
samiam

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion