Cool air vents

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Cool air vents

Postby SonexEZ » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:22 pm

I have only been flying my sonex when it is cooler out , its so hot in the cockpit has anyone come up with better vents i cant stand it in this thing and it only gets hotter in Florida , if i cant find a way to cool her down i wont be flying after May till next October , I do have it for sale looking at a archer but the way its going i will have it for a while , also i have seen some of the sonexs at my airport have the over head shade but i need more air then just that , has anyone removed the canopy ?
SonexEZ

Re: Cool air vents

Postby vigilant104 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:31 pm

What do you have now, the stock Sonex NACA vents?
Many people have modified theuir vents. Some have cut holes in the lower portions of their windscreen and mounted clear round turn vents (similar to those found on large motorcycle fairings). My plane was built with pop-out vents from Vans that do a good job of grabbing a lot of outside air and bringing it in--blasts of it.

The plane can't safely be flown without a canopy.

A canopy shade will help a lot.
For air, the simplest thing for you to do is to fashion a small fitting that allows the canopy to be locked open a few inches for taxi (but it must be removed before takeoff. Many people have done this--the canopy locks into the fitting, and the fitting locks into the canopy rail.
Mark Waldron
Sonex 1230 (Builder: Jay Gibbs)
Aerovee, Trigear
vigilant104

Postby sonex892. » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:40 pm

I'm assuming you have the standard vents as shown in the plans. They barely do anything when open.

Since I was stuck with the original flap vent hole I made proper naca ducts out of metal. Based on naca duct profiles from a Tony Bingelis book. They let in ample air, even while taxying on a hot day.

Peter Anson makes and sells something similar to replace the catflap vent. His are plastic made on a 3D printer. see here
http://www.ansoneng.com/sample-page/pro ... ng-bracket\

I have also installed a Koger sun shade, and love it.
Steve
Sonex 892
Steve
Lazair kit 1981 sold
Sonerai 2LS plansbuilt 2003 sold
Sonex kit 2010
Sonerai 2LS project rotax 912
sonex892.

Postby SonexEZ » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:01 pm

vigilant104 wrote:What do you have now, the stock Sonex NACA vents?
Many people have modified theuir vents. Some have cut holes in the lower portions of their windscreen and mounted clear round turn vents (similar to those found on large motorcycle fairings). My plane was built with pop-out vents from Vans that do a good job of grabbing a lot of outside air and bringing it in--blasts of it.

The plane can't safely be flown without a canopy.

A canopy shade will help a lot.
For air, the simplest thing for you to do is to fashion a small fitting that allows the canopy to be locked open a few inches for taxi (but it must be removed before takeoff. Many people have done this--the canopy locks into the fitting, and the fitting locks into the canopy rail.

I just have the normal sonex vents i am also thinking of something in the lower canopy have to start looking now at 3000 ft today i was sweating and outside temp at 3000 was 55 whats going to happen when it gets to 95 with 99% humidity
SonexEZ

Postby mike.smith » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:35 pm

SonexEZ wrote:I just have the normal sonex vents i am also thinking of something in the lower canopy have to start looking now at 3000 ft today i was sweating and outside temp at 3000 was 55 whats going to happen when it gets to 95 with 99% humidity

That's not normal at all. I'm in the northeast, but I fly in 80-90+ temps all summer. It's hot inside when taxiing, but after takeoff I open my two side vents and I can fly comfortably from Massachusetts to Wisconsin and back. I only wear a hat; no canopy shade. I have the Van's side vents.
https://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/st ... 10vent_kit
At 55 deg OAT, with my vents open I'd be just about freezing.

Are you getting copious amounts of air through the vents? You should be. If not, then something is not set up right. Maybe a few photos would be helpful.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby vigilant104 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:44 pm

SonexEZ wrote: i was sweating and outside temp at 3000 was 55 whats going to happen when it gets to 95 with 99% humidity

You're gonna get hot. :)

Attacking this from all angles is best. Get a sunshade to keep some of that direct sun out--it not only heats the air, but directly heats everything inside the cockpit. Try one of Peter's retrofit units, they should fit your current submerged NACA ducts without much trouble. After trying that and if it's still not enough, consider cutting holes for vents through your canopy or windscreen (like the Snapvent models offered by Aircraft Spruce http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/snapvents3.php ), but realize that cutting Lexan or acrylic is not without risk. And, I really like the pop-out Van's vents that Jay Gibbs installed in my airplane.http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/store.cgi?ident=1456702916-88-27&browse=heatvent&product=10vent_kit

Fly in the mornings when you can.
Mark Waldron
Sonex 1230 (Builder: Jay Gibbs)
Aerovee, Trigear
vigilant104

Postby WaiexN143NM » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:32 pm

Hi all,
Yep the 2 best things to keep cool, Kroger sunshade we got from Cleveland aircraft, and the aluminum side vents from Van's. Even in Tucson!

WaiexN143NM
Michael Radtke
WaiexN143NM

Postby WaiexN143NM » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:37 pm

One more thing, thanks Mark for answering also, is DO NOT take off the canopy and try to fly it!!

That would make John Monnett's veins pop.

WaiexN143NM
WaiexN143NM

Postby rizzz » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:01 am

Here's what I made on the 3D printer to fit the standard Sonex cut-outs (as per the plans):

We've had some pretty hot days in Aus here recently, the vents work great!
Michael
Sonex #145 from scratch (mostly)
Taildragger, 2.4L VW engine, AeroInjector, Prince 54x48 P-Tip
VH-MND, CofA issued 2nd of November 2015
First flight 7th of November 2015
Phase I Completed, 11th of February 2016
http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz/
rizzz

Postby sonex892. » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:31 am

rizzz wrote:Here's what I made on the 3D printer to fit the standard Sonex cut-outs (as per the plans):We've had some pretty hot days in Aus here recently, the vents work great!

I'm glad that worked Rizz. It appears when stuck with the original cutout, the trick to getting more airflow is enclosing the top and bottom of the naca duct shape as you Peter and myself have done.
mike.smith wrote:
SonexEZ wrote:I just have the normal sonex vents i am also thinking of something in the lower canopy have to start looking now at 3000 ft today i was sweating and outside temp at 3000 was 55 whats going to happen when it gets to 95 with 99% humidity

Are you getting copious amounts of air through the vents? You should be. If not, then something is not set up right. Maybe a few photos would be helpful.

Mike, he said he had the standard vents. I believe your Vans vents would be great and scoop in massive amounts of air. With the standard vents copious amounts of air simply just doesn't happen. It is a known fact the standard vents don't do a damn thing.
I flew for 2 Summers with the standard vents before modifying. I am not sure if the standard vents are still shown in the plans or not? If they are they should be deleted!
Steve
Sonex 892
Steve
Lazair kit 1981 sold
Sonerai 2LS plansbuilt 2003 sold
Sonex kit 2010
Sonerai 2LS project rotax 912
sonex892.

Next

Return to General Discussion