Winter? No problem!

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Winter? No problem!

Postby Sonex1243 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:28 pm

Guess it's time to test my wiring skills and get a garage heater purchased, wired and installed before resuming the left wing assembly. Below "0" in a few days, my poor little electric heaters put up a good fight! Does this acquisition fall under miscellaneous tools?

Ken S
SONEX #1243 N424SX (reserved)
Tail complete, wings done
Fuselage on gear
Jab 3300 received!
Sonex1243

Re: Winter? No problem!

Postby vigilant104 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:07 am

Ken,
The calculator at this site is a pretty good one for figuring out how many BTUs you need for heating (and cooling). If you put in your city it looks up the historical outside temps to use when calculating the load.
http://www.loadcalc.net

If your garage is attached to your house, any common walls/ceiling of the garage will effectively see zero heat loss (assuming the home is heated/air conditioned and at the same target temperature you'd like the garage to be). So, you can "trick" the calculator by putting "zero" as the square footage for any such walls/ceilings.

If you are going with electric heaters, 1 watt = 3.41 BTUs/hour. So if the calculator says it will take 15,000 BTUs to heat your garage, you'd need electric heaters totaling 4400 watts. And on 115 VAC, that's 38 amps, which is probably why you are thinking about putting in new circuits!).

One novel approach (and a project): some folks use water from their domestic hot water heater and run it through a heat exchanger in the garage (pipes and a fan). No new circuits needed, and if you have a gas water heater the utility costs will be much lower than electricity. This only works for moderate heat requirements--if you have a 35K BTU burner in the water heater and need 45K of heat for the shop, then the water in the tank will eventually get cooler even if the burner runs full time.

Getting the big garage door well sealed against air leakage is usually tricky.

Good luck!
Last edited by vigilant104 on Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Waldron
Sonex 1230 (Builder: Jay Gibbs)
Aerovee, Trigear
vigilant104

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:08 am

I think winter is cancelled here in northern Illinois. There is no skiing here so I am ok with that.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby fastj22 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:09 am

Winter is spending its holiday in Colorado. Digging out from the last 2 ft dump. Single digits today. I hear the skiing is excellent, especially this time of year. Oh well, good time to do the condition inspection.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Return to General Discussion