Resting structures on clecos

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Resting structures on clecos

Postby samiam » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:52 pm

In the homebuilt help videos they say to always rest the tail feathers on some support, off of the table, instead of on clecos. In the past I always just let the structure rest on the clecos. Any reason why this is? Does the small circle mark left by the cleco become hard to polish later?
Mike L
Sonex #1345
Tail complete
Working on wings
samiam

Re: Resting structures on clecos

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:06 pm

A side load on the clecoes can deform the hole too. You have to be careful. On my tails I rested them on the clecoes. The wings-no way. Too heavy, too hard to not damage the parts. That is my take on it.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby samiam » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:28 pm

I agree, I would never do it on the wings. I didn't think much harm would come from doing it on the tail pieces though - unless it made it harder to polish later?
Mike L
Sonex #1345
Tail complete
Working on wings
samiam

Postby Rynoth » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:55 pm

I had to pound out several "smiley faces" from inadvertently resting my wings on clecoes (while turning the wing over.) I developed the bad habit beginning with the tail, which did no visible harm, but in general it's just not what the clecoes are meant for. If both the table and the light workpiece are flat and not subjected to side loads the damage is probably minimal (such as tail pieces), but the curvature and weight of the wings most definitely should not be placed on the clecoes.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby DCASonex » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:53 am

Two things:

Get some 2" square tubes, or wood of same or slightly larger dimensions and invert the assembly with them between the clecos. Good straight steel tubes, covered with a single layer of duct tape, and long enough to run the length of the wings can be shimmed and angled to give a perfectly flat and straight work support.

Second, get a lot of those plastic tips that cover the ends of clecoes. They prevent most smileys. They are pricey, but can be made very inexpensively by purchasing a large bag of the proper sized CapPlugs and drilling or punching your own holes to suit. Not familiar with these, buy a few from ACS, Avery, or other source then make your own. Suspect I have about 500 of those by now. and would not attempt another project without them.

David A. Sponex TD #1327 CAMit 3300
DCASonex

Postby kmacht » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:55 pm

1" pvc pipe cut to short lengths just a little longer than the cleco work well for when you want to.flip a structure over and rest it on the bench with cleco still installed.

Keith
kmacht

Postby SNX1508 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:42 am

Or better yet avoid the need to flip the wing over by building it standing up on edge. I built the right wing laying down, left wing standing up. Standing up on edge was much easier, I was able go square everything up and then clamp it in place to keep everything perfectly square, and then no need to keep flipping it over.

See PIC's here:

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_l ... 454&row=34

Terry
Terry
Sonex #1508
N296SX
AeroVee #0736
Tail Dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/SNX1508
SNX1508

Return to General Discussion