New split cowl report

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

New split cowl report

Postby jjbardell » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:44 pm

I fitted the new split cowl last weekend. Very impressed with the fit. Total time was about 5 hours to get it just perfect.

- the cowl was picked up at Sonex. They boxed and protected it well
- the bottom required me to create a cut for the Nose wheel. Save the cutout as it can be used later to fill behind the nosewheel
- the turbo exhaust cutout needs to be measured twice to ensure you account for the final fit
- the bottom half mounts with minimal cutting. I had to shave about 1/4" off the top half of each side where it connects to the fuselage
- the top required about the same

I think that a motor spaced a little forward would require 0 cutting.
The bottom along the floor board fit perfect.

Nice job guys! Love my cowl. More pics as I finish next week.

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb4 ... 26CC25.jpg

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb4 ... C85CD7.jpg
Building: [11323] Zenith 750 CruzerDuty27.5 / O-320 [Instagram Build Log: Zenith750CruzerSTOL]
N67LJ - Vans RV-9A #90504 (SOLD)
N83LJ - Sonex #0864 (SOLD)
https://rvpilotlife.wordpress.com/blog/home/
jjbardell

Re: New split cowl report

Postby rizzz » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:07 pm

That's just not fair,
It took me weeks to get that old vertically split cowl to a point where I was happy with it.
It was the only part of the whole build process I did not enjoy at all!

Anyway,
It's so good to see Sonex has really been listening to their customers in order to improve their products over the years.
Not many companies do this. A lot are just too arrogant.

Some examples:
- new VW baffles
- new tail wheel with more ground clearance
- hydraulic brakes
- std oops fittings on fuel tanks
- now finally a horizontally split cowl
(sure there are more)

All of these mods are things that have been suggested and/or had been done already by existing customers before Sonex came out with their version.
Well done people at Sonex!
Michael
Sonex #145 from scratch (mostly)
Taildragger, 2.4L VW engine, AeroInjector, Prince 54x48 P-Tip
VH-MND, CofA issued 2nd of November 2015
First flight 7th of November 2015
Phase I Completed, 11th of February 2016
http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz/
rizzz

Postby Brett » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:37 am

A 912 engine mount and firewall forward package would be nice now...
Sonex 1645
VH-VWS
Tailwheel
Former Aerovee Turbo
Rotax 912
Brett

Postby NWade » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:50 pm

Brett wrote:A 912 engine mount and firewall forward package would be nice now...

I don't see Sonex ever going with a liquid-cooled engine as a factory option; it just directly flies in the face of their KISS attitude towards the aircraft.

But I'm happy to see the other improvements in the kit over time! As I get back to building this winter I guess I'll need to order some Oops fittings, and a new cowl, and a bigger tailwheel. :D

--Noel
NWade

Postby Waiex 49 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:24 am

You are probably right about the possibility of Sonex providing support for a Rotax installation.

That's too bad, as not everyone is in love with the AeroVee and Jabiru engines and desire something better to power this great airframe.

Good companies listen to the needs and desires of their customers, not just heeding their own attitudes towards their product.

Just because they don't want a Rotax in Wisconsin doesn't mean there isn't a desire to have a Rotax engine on Sonex aircraft.
Waiex 49

Postby sonex892. » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:55 am

Brett wrote:A 912 engine mount and firewall forward package would be nice now...

Yes I agree Brett

If the current issues and operating restrictions with Jabiru engines in Australia had existed when I was ready for an engine 6 years ago. Rotax would have been my choice of engine. Sonex support or not.

Sonex would likely sell a lot more airframes if only they offered this choice. A lot of people like and will only fly behind Rotax engines. Regardless of whether sonex offered a rotax firewall forward or not. The aerovee will always be the best seller due of the economics of it.

Steve
Sonex 892 VH-ZSX
Jabiru 3300
Steve
Lazair kit 1981 sold
Sonerai 2LS plansbuilt 2003 sold
Sonex kit 2010
Sonerai 2LS project rotax 912
sonex892.

Postby DCASonex » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:17 pm

Another engine option not to overlook is the CAMit Aero Engine. NOT subject to any CASA limitations or restrictions. Simple reliable solid lifters and many other improvements over the Jabiru, a drop in installation, and much less expensive than a Rotax.

David A. Sonex TD #1327, CAMit 3300 #0004 now with over 115 hours.
DCASonex

Return to General Discussion