D Motor

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

D Motor

Postby JerryCPP » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:36 am

Has anyone investigated the D Motor? I'm a big fan of liquid cooled engines, and from reading their web site it seems the D Motor might be a good fit for the Sonex. Comments? Anyone putting one on? Jerry Loeffelbein, Sonex #1320, Cashmere, Washington
JerryCPP

Re: D Motor

Postby dirkverdonck » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:28 am

Hello JerryCPP,

I have been investigating this option too for my OneX.

The designer of the engine is a member of the Aeroclub in Belgium I regularly visit and I have discussed the option with him several times.
The 4 cylinder version delivering about 95 bhp would be a perfect fit for the OneX as it is a very narrow engine, flathead, and the weight is no problem compared to the Aerovee.
The 6 cylinder would be perfect for the Sonex or Waiex, bettering the performance of the 3300 Jab.

Both engines are designed with a backplate that is identical to the 2200 and 3300 Jab engines and can be installed on those engine mounts with the propeller line in the same spot as the Jabs.

I know of an airplane equipped with a 3300 that had cooling problems that is being converted to the 6 Cyl D-motor to do away with this and to better the overall performance.

Unfortunately, D-motor is not willing to design a motor mounts and I am not capable of doing so, so my OneX will continue with the Aerovee until someone designs and tests a motor mount to accept the D-motor.

For someone wanting to try this on the Sonex, Waiex, the problem is already half solved as the Jab motor mount for these aircraft can be purchased from Sonex Aircraft LLC.

May be, if several Sonex, Waiex builders in the States would put some pressure on the US D-motor importer, he could have these installations tested and put a firewall forward package on the market???

Brgds, Dirk OneX 117
Dirk Verdonck
Leffinge, Belgium
Onex #117
Taildragger, Aerovee 2.1, MGL iEFIS, TRIG radio and Transponder, electric flaps, external elevator trim, shortened wingtips, hydraulic brakes, hightened seat pan, extra inspection panels, etc
dirkverdonck

Postby aferddaberts » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:08 pm

I have opt for the Jabriu 3300 to power the Waiex I am working on because I want it to be my little "Hot Rod" but if a better engine comes along before I get to the point of ordering, I'd certainly give it some serious concideration. I'm referring to the lnformation I'm seeing about a "D" engine from Belgium. Could an engine from there be any better than one from Australia ?
So thanks, guys, for a comeback.

AL Roberts
aferddaberts

Postby inventor » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:26 pm

The best thing about the VW engine is the low cost and availability of parts. At $17500, the D-motor would have to outlast three VW's to be in the ballpark of cost effectiveness.
Onex 150
inventor

Postby rizzz » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:58 pm

aferddaberts wrote:Could an engine from there be any better than one from Australia ?

According to CASA, probably yes! (Pun intended)
Michael
Sonex #145 from scratch (mostly)
Taildragger, 2.4L VW engine, AeroInjector, Prince 54x48 P-Tip
VH-MND, CofA issued 2nd of November 2015
First flight 7th of November 2015
Phase I Completed, 11th of February 2016
http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz/
rizzz

Postby fastj22 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:06 pm

D-motor looks really cool. Love the retro flat head. I hope it progresses. Haven't heard much about the 6 banger.
Saw it at OSH this year down at the ultralight area. They got in some trouble running it in their booth!
Price point is right at the Jab/Camit.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Return to General Discussion