Nose Job

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Nose Job

Postby daesharacor » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:13 am

Hey all. New member here, though I've been doing research for a few years now on various homebuild options.

I absolutely love certain aspects of the Sonex, and would like to build one. I've done a lot of research on RVs, the Panther, Just Aircraft, Kitfox, Rans, etc. I like some aspects of each of them, but haven't found The One yet.

So the one issue I have with the Sonex (other than the useful load, which I can live with) is the front end. I don't mind it terribly, but my building partner (father) is absolutely not on board because he does not like the look of the front end.

Are there any remedies to this? Does someone make a more bubbled canopy and/or a more conventional cowling?

The cowling that Jean Claude is using is a good start, but that shallow angled canopy is still a deal breaker for dad.
http://sonexbuildersandpilotsfoundation ... #h1620a7ef

Am I out of luck?

Thanks!
daesharacor

Re: Nose Job

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:15 pm

One of the joys of Experimental aviation is that you have the luxury of building anything you'd like. If you want to take a Sonex and modify the cowling and/or front windshield then go for it!

I will caution you though; the shape of the Sonex fuselage is designed to act as a lifting body, thereby providing some of the lift during flight. I believe this is one reason why the airplane stalls so slowly even though it only has 99 sq/ft of wing area. Any changes you make to the design may or may not have negative consequences to aircraft handling, performance, stall speeds, etc.

That being said, the two options I could think of right off hand would be to install a Todd's Canopies (www.toddscanopies.com) as well as possibly try to graft on a Corvair cowling. Do an online search for 'Cleanex' to see how the Sonex looks with the custom Corvair engine cowling. Just two thoughts...

Good luck!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby rizzz » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:59 pm

Michael
Sonex #145 from scratch (mostly)
Taildragger, 2.4L VW engine, AeroInjector, Prince 54x48 P-Tip
VH-MND, CofA issued 2nd of November 2015
First flight 7th of November 2015
Phase I Completed, 11th of February 2016
http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz/
rizzz

Postby fastj22 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:02 pm

Here's a Corvair cowl grafted on a Jabiru Waiex. The nose bowl is available from Sport Performance Aircraft.
Attachments
IMG_0512.jpg
IMG_0512.jpg (63.71 KiB) Viewed 2051 times

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby Waiex 49 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:21 am

Viking Waiex N49YX
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (121.7 KiB) Viewed 2009 times
Waiex 49

Postby peter anson » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:45 am

I never really liked the look of that shallow angle on the windscreen and it does cause some distortion and restrict vision so I was very keen to modify it, but it is very hard to make a good looking modification because of the fuel tank shape. If you shorten the screen you'll end up with a bulge on the top of the cowling to clear the tank and filler. In the end I just decided to live with it and it's amazing how quickly it grows on you. I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but that nose on Jean Claude's Sonex makes the stock nose look pretty good.

Peter Anson
Sonex 894
peter anson

Postby John Monnett » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:59 am

Amen!
John Monnett

Postby daesharacor » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:23 am

All good suggestions I will look in to. Thanks for the help!
daesharacor

Return to General Discussion