Demo Flight in Sonex

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Demo Flight in Sonex

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:54 am

What were you aerotowing in? I would have thought you had tailwheel time. The main reason I ask is I have a slew of tailwheel hours but no endorsement as I grandfathered in. Does Sonex require the endorsement in this case?
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Sonerai13 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:44 am

Bryan Cotton wrote:What were you aerotowing in? I would have thought you had tailwheel time. The main reason I ask is I have a slew of tailwheel hours but no endorsement as I grandfathered in. Does Sonex require the endorsement in this case?

Brian,

If the aircraft is registered and certificated as a "glider", then there is no tailwheel endorsement necessary. The tailwheel endorsement requirements are specific to airplanes. PIC time for "grandfathering" must be in a tailwheel airplane prior to 15 April, 1991. Glider time does not count toward this requirement.

Remember, it's the FAA, the DOT, and ultimately the government that we are dealing with here. It only has to make sense to the lawyers. :roll:
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:40 am

Whoops, I though he meant he was a tow pilot. I have heard people call themselves rated tow pilots before even though there is no rating! Thanks Joe for clarifying.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Sonerai13 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:26 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:Whoops, I though he meant he was a tow pilot. I have heard people call themselves rated tow pilots before even though there is no rating!

Glider tow is an endorsement rather than a rating, just like tailwheel, high performance, complex, etc. You can find the requirements in FAR 61.69. So those who claim to be "rated" for glider tow really mean "endorsed". But "rated" sounds cooler!! :)
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Previous

Return to General Discussion