Demo Flight in Sonex

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Demo Flight in Sonex

Postby rfidler » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:07 am

Very interested in Sonex Aircraft and want to fly in one to make sure I have no issues. I have contacted the Flight Training at Sonex to inquire. Unfortunately,
I have never received a return call. Any info about how I should pursue this issue would be appreciated.
rfidler

Re: Demo Flight in Sonex

Postby Gripdana » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:22 am

where are you located?
Dana Baker
Scratch Built
First Flight March 8, 2015
Sonex #1534 - N1534S "Aluminum Foil"
Aerovee-Dual Controls-Tail Dragger
Gripdana

Postby DCASonex » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:06 am

Would call, or maybe better e-mail them again. But depending on where you live, might find someone closer to home to give you a flight. Most Sonex owners are looking for any excuse to bore holes in the sky.

David A. Sonex TD, CAMit 3300
DCASonex

Postby HenryVoris » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:48 am

To rfidler... Less than one half an hour ago I finished 10 hrs of transition training here at the Sonex factory... Very pleased with the program. When I first tried to call them I had the same problems with getting in touch with them. Most of the time Joe Norris is bouncing around the pattern with a transitioning pilot, so I guess some calls fall through the cracks... I go back tomorrow morning to have Joe finish off my paper work. If you like you can eMail me with your name and phone number and I'll hand it to Joe in the morning. henry_voris@yahoo.com
Sonex N249SX
HenryVoris

Postby rfidler » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:57 am

I live in Michigan, just north of Detroit.
rfidler

Postby mike.smith » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:31 pm

As long as you have a pilot license of some type, per the web site: "The LODA authorizes Sonex Aircraft, LLC to provide training for pilots building, buying or considering a Sonex design. The training is for aircraft familiarization and transition purposes only. Student applicants must already hold a pilot certificate with appropriate category and class rating, as well as any required endorsements."
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby rfidler » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:37 am

mike.smith wrote:As long as you have a pilot license of some type, per the web site: "The LODA authorizes Sonex Aircraft, LLC to provide training for pilots building, buying or considering a Sonex design. The training is for aircraft familiarization and transition purposes only. Student applicants must already hold a pilot certificate with appropriate category and class rating, as well as any required endorsements."

I have a pilot Single Engine Land, Instrument rating, Glider Aerotow Rating, Motorglider endorsement, current Biannual, current Medical, over 3000 hours of Pilot in Command time. The current staff of training personnel has not contacted me after a student who had just completed training with them gave them my name and number. So they may just have too much to do and not enough time to do it because they certainly have not contacted me. I must say though, I am rather puzzled.
rfidler

Postby Gripdana » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:46 am

Here are the links to the transition pages. The second link is where you can purchase the time to do the flight.
Try this link. http://www.sonexaircraft.com/support/t-flight.html
or this link http://www.sonexaircraft.com/eshop/cart ... ory_id=391
Dana Baker
Scratch Built
First Flight March 8, 2015
Sonex #1534 - N1534S "Aluminum Foil"
Aerovee-Dual Controls-Tail Dragger
Gripdana

Postby Sonerai13 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:07 am

Hey Bob, sorry it took me a bit to get back to you. Glad I could get your questions answered for you. Let me know if you have any further questions.
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Postby rfidler » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:20 am

Thanks Joe for your call, much appreciated. Joe did provide me with info I was not aware of about instruction in a Experimental tail dragger. I will need to get an endorsement for tail dragger in a certified aircraft before he can instruct me in a Sonex tail dragger. Hey, we are dealing with the government here, the final conclusion would be that does not make any sense.
rfidler

Next

Return to General Discussion