To Gascolate or not to Gascolate

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

To Gascolate or not to Gascolate

Postby wolfpack3 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:25 pm

I'm considering eliminating my gascolator and wondered what others think of this issue. I have an inline filter for contaminates and have never found any signs of moisture in the fuel while I've had the gascolator on. That doesn't mean it can't happen but I also know sonex doesn't include them in any of their builds.
Fire away!
Thanks.
Wolfpack3
Onex
Aerovee
Taildragger
wolfpack3

Re: To Gascolate or not to Gascolate

Postby Onex107 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:27 pm

I had a bad case of the burps in hot weather until several things changed. First Sonex enlarged the lower cowl exit on the Onex. Second I insulated the fuel line and gascolator and wrapped the exhaust pipes. Third i removed the gascolator because it's too difficult to completely insulate and it was too close to the exhaust pipes. Before that, the burps would only happen on the ground after the engine was heat soaked. Sonex says it isn't necessary because all the fuel flow is down hill from the tank and if there is any water in your fuel it will be located at the AeroInjector/carb and it will be eliminated before the engine starts. That sounds logical but I think a few drops could be retained in the tank because the fuel line doesn't come out the very bottom. I will add that in 25 years of flying my C-150 I have never had water in the sumps. Two years ago I completely emptied the wing tanks and flushed them through a strainer to see what had accumulated and there was nothing to see. Todays fuel systems have excellent filter systems.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Postby avee8r » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:22 pm

No burps, hiccups, or hesitations on my AeroVee powered Sonex fuel system built to plans with a gascolator.
I had the exhaust Jet Hot Coated and put a fire sleeve on the fuel line.
Happy Landings
John
N50NX
avee8r

Postby Sonex1542 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:15 am

I'm opting to go without. If you're looking to purchase one... Let me know, have one on hand.
SNX-794. Formerly SNX-1542
Sonex1542

Postby GordonTurner » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:13 am

Which one do you have and what are you asking for it?
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:38 pm

For what it's worth, I was always taught that gascolators will collect dirt and debris while maintaining proper and full fuel flow to the engine even if a lot of crud gets built up in the gascolator bowl. On the other hand, if a filter gets clogged up with dirt the fuel flow would stop.

For this reason I installed the stock gascolator and have never had any issues. I wrapped the gascolator in pipe insulation foam and wrapped that in metal tape, as well as put a fire sleeve on the fuel line. No burps here.

All of that being said, the inline fuel filter would probably be the lighter and easier installation, and I've never heard of anyone having issues with an inline filter. In all of the inspections I've done to my gascolator, I've never seen any dirt inside the bowl so I would have to think the inline filter would be just fine. If you're buying fuel from a reputable source and have no worries about fuel contamination, I'm sure a filter is just fine.

Just my two cents!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby Mike53 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:40 pm

I don't think it should be forgotten that the gascolator's primary purpose is to be at the lowest point in the fuel system for the purpose of collecting water that might find it's way into your fuel.Wether from a gas truck or from condensation in the tank.I never fly without draining a little fuel at the gascolator to check for water.Better then, than finding out just after takeoff.
Up here in Canada there is not the option of leaving it off ,it is mandatory.
Mike
I know but one freedom, and that is the freedom of the mind.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Reserved C-FONX for the 80th Onex,Hummel 85HP ,Tri gear,GRT Mini X EFIS,and EMS,iFly 740 GPS
Mike53

Postby Bruce593SX » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:45 pm

Mike53 wrote:I don't think it should be forgotten that the gascolator's primary purpose is to be at the lowest point in the fuel system for the purpose of collecting water that might find it's way into your fuel.Wether from a gas truck or from condensation in the tank.

That's why with a properly installed fuel system and the aerocarb a gascolator is not needed, the aerocarb is now the lowest point in the system and any water will exit the aerocarb before the engine kicks over
Bruce Johnson
Sonex 593 AeroVee Turbo
Plans building near San Antonio, TX
Bruce593SX

Postby Sonex1542 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:31 pm

GordonTurner wrote:Which one do you have and what are you asking for it?

Usher - spruce wants 78.50. I'd do 60 shipped.

Sorry- not trying to highjack the thread
SNX-794. Formerly SNX-1542
Sonex1542

Return to General Discussion