Steel push rod tubes?

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Steel push rod tubes?

Postby jjbardell » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:15 am

I'm replacing my aluminum push rod tubes (damaged them) and called Mofoco who sent me steel ones. Has anyone else used steel? I found only one post and I got further confused when the Sonex webstore doesn't appear to sell the aluminum ones, just coated steel.
Building: [11323] Zenith 750 CruzerDuty27.5 / O-320 [Instagram Build Log: Zenith750CruzerSTOL]
N67LJ - Vans RV-9A #90504 (SOLD)
N83LJ - Sonex #0864 (SOLD)
https://rvpilotlife.wordpress.com/blog/home/
jjbardell

Re: Steel push rod tubes?

Postby Klimek » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:24 am

Push rod tubes supplied by the factory (Volkswagen) were always steel
As are the tubes supplied by SONEX.
They appear to have an anti-rust coating, though.
Word is the steel, being thinner, transfers heat better than the thicker, anodized aluminum tubes which I used. That being said there are a few things.
1, the spring keeps constant pressure on the seals therefore making for a longer lasting seal.
2. Make sure you use the best quality seals you can get due to the constant pressure applied to them.
3. The oil temp in my engine has not been a problem. Getting it to heat up has proven to be the case, so heat transfer is not a concern for me.
4. Lastly the 2 piece tube end seals can be replaced without removing the heads. A BIG plus.
Both types have their benefits.
Frank
ONEX 090
N1970T
16 hours and counting.
Klimek

Return to General Discussion