Learning

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Learning

Postby fastj22 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:42 pm

I love to learn new things. Master new skills. Challenge myself.

Building an airplane certainly is more than just being a craftsman, a mechanic, a fabricator. Its being a student.

Especially when tackling the electrical and avionics.

Today I learned all the Sub-D pins I bought from B&G worked fine for the FlightCOM intercom, but wouldn't fit in the Garmin 300XL comm connector. Turns out there's two types, standard and High Density. Who would have thunk? Needed HD for the Garmin. Also, on the same Garmin 300XL, it has a standard density connector for all the GPS stuff and power that requires sockets and not pins. I have pins. Lots of them. So, back to B&G to order some more pins(er sockets) and will pay more for shipping than the items. BTW, Radio Shack sucks. They only sell phones now and their staff is useless.

For my push to talk, I thought I hit the lottery when I found a 4 pack of mini-momentary switches at Radio Shack for $3. Got them installed and found out they are mom-off. Of course, after wiring them to the control sticks. You push the button and the ciruit opens. Not closes. Well that's useless for a PTT. So off to B&G to get mom-ON mini-switches for $7 each. ARRRG!

I find myself studying electrical schematics at night on my iPad. From the various manufacturers and also from other Sonex builders. At first it was like reading greek, but now make sense. Usually. I think.

I learned everything I could about noise inducing circuits,antenna, co-axial cables, ground loops, shielding, crowbars, contactors, looms, bundles, mom-off switches. All for one tiny aircraft!

Oh well. I like to learn.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Re: Learning

Postby Mike53 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:22 am

Good topic.It's the everyday challenges that make life enjoyable. :idea:
Mike
I know but one freedom, and that is the freedom of the mind.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Reserved C-FONX for the 80th Onex,Hummel 85HP ,Tri gear,GRT Mini X EFIS,and EMS,iFly 740 GPS
Mike53

Return to General Discussion