Airworthiness inspection questions

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Postby Gripdana » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:45 pm

I am almost ready to send in my request to the FAA to have them come inspect the plane. I have the EAA certification kit. I am doing the W&B this weekend and getting the last documents notarized. The program letter and all other forms are done. The thing I am unclear about is this. Do I need to have the transponder and pitot/static certified prior to the inspection? And in the log books are they looking for ELT test, prop install, anything about initial oil put in or anything else that needs to be noted about what was done. Other than the airworthiness statement I need to put in the log book?
Dana Baker
Scratch Built
First Flight March 8, 2015
Sonex #1534 - N1534S "Aluminum Foil"
Aerovee-Dual Controls-Tail Dragger
Gripdana

Postby Sonex1517 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:35 am

Shoot an email to Joe Norris at Sonex. He used to be a DAR (wish he still was!!).

Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Chicagoland
Tails and Wings complete - finishing fuselage.
N1517S reserved
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Re: Airworthiness inspection questions

Postby wlarson861 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:10 am

Instruments and radios should not be part of the inspection since an exp. amature built isnt required to have any. The DAR didnt look at the instalation of the radio or instrument but did review the log books for airframe, engine and prop to make sure they were ready to go.
Bill Larson
N861SX
Sonex, polished, tail wheel, Generation 4 Jabiru 3300
wlarson861

Postby Onex77 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:37 am

Do I need to have the transponder and pitot/static certified prior to the inspection? NO
And in the log books are they looking for ELT test, NO
prop install,YES Aircraft should be ready to fly, less inspection panels open.
anything about initial oil put in or anything else that needs to be noted about what was done.Up to you on this one.
Other than the airworthiness statement I need to put in the log book? Engine test run?
I have had 5 planes inspected by DAR and FAA and they have all been different. The main thing required is the airworthiness statement. This says it all.
Brent
Onex 77/Aerovee
Built/Flying
2009 - RV-9A
2005 - RV-9
1998 - RV-6
Onex77

Postby Gripdana » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:20 am

Thanks for the replies. I was going to wait for the pitot check to send in the paper work. I think I'll send it in and if I can't get the check done I should be good. But the shop is right next to my hanger so there is a chance it will be done. As far as the log books. I did do the prop install in the prop log book but I did not even think of the first start since I put that into my building log. I will put that in today. Should I also note any of the Aeroinjector tuning I do to get mixture and idle where they should be?
Dana Baker
Scratch Built
First Flight March 8, 2015
Sonex #1534 - N1534S "Aluminum Foil"
Aerovee-Dual Controls-Tail Dragger
Gripdana

Postby wlarson861 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:44 am

You should have the logs current as to hours on the engine. Obviously there will be no flight hours logged (at least I hope not) whether you make a note as to what the hours were for is up to you. Pitot and transponder certification are not needed until you wish to fly into or under a mode c area. Your operating limitations probably will keep you out of those areas until after phase 1 is complete. That's 40 hours to get those done before you sign off the Phase 1 in the log. If you need the TPX and Pitot check for the area of your test flights that is independent of the airworthiness inspection unless the dar makes it part of the limitations. If so then get it done before first flight, it's not part of the inspection. The airworthiness inspection is about will this thing fall out of the sky and kill the uninvolved.
Bill Larson
N861SX
Sonex, polished, tail wheel, Generation 4 Jabiru 3300
wlarson861

Postby Fastcapy » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:51 am

-----
Last edited by Fastcapy on Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Beck
Oshkosh, WI (KOSH)
Sonex #1145 N920MB
Std Gear, Modified Aerovee, Rotec TBI, Dual Stick, Acro Ailerons
MGL Panel
Airworthiness: 10/24/13, First Flight: 05/18/14
Fastcapy

Postby SonexN76ET » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:02 pm

Prior to my DAR inspection, I was apprehensive about speaking to the DAR or FAA about the inspection. My EAA Technical Counselor volunteered to inspect my aircraft and my paperwork prior to the DAR inspection. The EAA Technical Counselor had a great deal of experience working with DAR's and FAA inspectors and he was a great source of knowledge. I would also recommend that you contact the DAR or FAA inspector and ask them what they want to see in terms of transponder certifications, etc. My DAR turned out to be a great guy and a great source of information. I now consider him to be good friend.

I originally planned on using an FAA inspector, but the FAA FSDO would never give me a date or even a projection of when the inspector would be there. It was very frustrating. The DARs are normally more flexible in the scheduling and in answering questions. After talking to my EAA Technical Counselor and other homebuilders on my field, I went with a DAR. My understanding is that the FAA will not spend much time even looking at your aircraft, but rather spend a lot of time on the paperwork.

Each DAR and FAA inspector does things a little bit differently and has different expectations. I would call or email your DAR/Inspector and find out exactly what they will be looking for and want to see.

Finally, for your builder's log, make sure you have some pictures of yourself doing the building at different points in the building. When I went to the FAA to get my repairman's certificate, the inspector told me that the guy before me had pictures of his wife building the aircraft, but none of himself building it, so he would not give that man a repairman's certificate. (I kind of think that that other builder was not good at answering the building questions the inspectors ask during the interview either and the lack of pictures sealed it). Again, each inspector has different things that they are looking for. Fortunately I had pictures of myself building in my builders log.

Thanks,

Jake
SonexN76ET

Postby Sonerai13 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:45 am

Hi Dana,

Sorry for the late response. I was out all week last week and didn't have decent web access.

Here are some comments for your consideration....

Gripdana wrote:Do I need to have the transponder and pitot/static certified prior to the inspection?

If there is a transponder installed in the airplane the inspector (FAA or DAR) will want to see that it has been properly tested in accordance with the regulations. Pitot/static doesn't need to be tested, since the aircraft is VFR-only. But the transponder will need to have the proper certification. If your inspector doesn't require it, he/she is missing the boat and you got away with one. It is not legal to operate the transponder at all until it is tested, so keep that in mind.

Gripdana wrote:And in the log books are they looking for ELT test, prop install, anything about initial oil put in or anything else that needs to be noted about what was done.

The inspector will (or at least should) want to see your construction records (aka "builder's log"). There is no specific format for the construction records, but you are required to have enough records to prove that the aircraft meets the requirements for amateur-built certification. Most construction records will have info on the items you mention in your question.

Regarding the ELT, there is the constant "discussion" regarding whether the ELT is required in the aircraft during phase 1 flight testing. The regulation specifically exempts flight testing from the ELT requirement (REF: 14 CFR 91.207(f)(4)). However, inspectors are instructed to check that the ELT is installed in airplanes that are required to have one. This is called out in FAA Order 8130.2G, paragraph 4102g(7), so you will get grief if you don't have it installed during the initial airworthiness inspection.

Gripdana wrote:Other than the airworthiness statement I need to put in the log book?

The main thing the inspector will be looking for is the airworthiness statement. Other than that, there aren't any specific requirements. Older versions of Order 8130.2 contained a requirement that there be a record that the engine had been run for a minimum of 1 hour, but that requirement no longer exists. So many homebuilts are being certificated with brand new engines these days that the FAA was getting a lot of push-back from builders regarding lengthy ground runs screwing up the break-in. But there are some inspectors who still think this is required, so be ready if you get some comment on that. If the inspector gets adamant, try to respectfully explain that it would be detramental to your engine to run it that long on the ground. If he/she persists after that, just ask him/her to show you where it is required that you run the engine for an hour. He/she will not be able to find a requirement in the current guidance. If this becomes a sticking point, either talk to the inspectors supervisor, or call EAA Government Relations for help. It shouldn't come to this, but I've been down this road with a couple of recalcitrant inspectors, so it does occasionally happen. (We also have run into problems with inspectors insisting that the airplane must have a compass, but this is incorrect. No compass is required for a day-VFR experimental airplane.)

Hope this helps! Let me know if you need anything else!
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:51 pm

Gripdana wrote:I have the EAA certification kit.

Old post, I know. I can't find the EAA cerification kit on their website. Anybody have a suggestion?
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Next

Return to General Discussion