Airworthiness inspection questions

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Airworthiness inspection questions

Postby 13brv3 » Tue May 10, 2022 11:42 am

If you make a change that requires an update to the 8130-6, such as changing to an inflight adjustable propeller, can you update that on the portal? Under "Create Application", I see an option for "Amended Certificate" that looks like it would allow you to change the propeller info. Could it really be that easy?

Thanks,
Rusty (Onex 912UL)
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (130 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Postby pfhoeycfi » Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:29 pm

I'm prepping for the airworthiness inspection and the DAR says I'll need to have the ELT test documentation. Artex has a link to a test website that picks up the 406 signal. Does anyone know if that test result will satisfy the DAR?

He did not say anything about having any test certificate for the transponder...do I need that for the inspection? I'm just curious how I would get the transponder tested in an aircraft that can't yet fly to a test facility...

Peter
Peter Hoey
SEL Pvt, Comm Glider, CFIG, Pawnee & L19 Towpilot
Philadelphia Glider Council
Sonex B SNB0021, N561PH, Taildragger, Aerovee Turbo, MGL MX1, First flight Dec 18, 2022
Also built Sonerai IIL N86PH
pfhoeycfi

Postby 13brv3 » Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:25 pm

I have to believe the report you get from Artex will satisfy them. I can send you a copy of one I did if you need to ask them, but it's the same thing you'd get if you were a repair station I believe.

My Onex doesn't require an ELT since it's single place, so I was never asked for the documentation. I'm 99% sure you don't need an ELT during the Phase 1 time for any plane, so you could always just remove it for the inspection. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong about that.

The transponder is also not required unless you're within the class B veil, or at a class C airport. If you do have one, I can't imagine them not expecting to see the logbook entry. Of course you only need that when you actually fly, so maybe they won't need to see it at inspection time. It's a good question.

Rusty
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (130 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Postby Sonerai13 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:53 am

This will vary by FAA office and often individual inspector. Neither the ELT or the transponder are "airworthiness" items. They are operational items that shouldn't have any effect on the issuance of the airworthiness certificate. The regulations specifically state that an ELT is not required for "flight testing", so by regulation it is not required until after the Phase 1 flight test is completed. However, most FAA inspectors seem to want to see it installed. Go figure. Transponder should be tested, but not necessarily before the airworthiness certificate is issued. It should not be operated until it's tested however.

I have never heard of an inspector asking to see test documentation for an ELT of any variety. That's a new one on me! There is no requirement anywhere in the FAA orders for such documentation, so the DAR is either just being extra cautious, or has been given the "word" from his supervising office. It's too bad that there is so much variation from office to office, and inspector to inspector, when we are all supposed to be singing from the same hymnal.
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Postby pfhoeycfi » Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:25 am

Sonerai13 wrote:This will vary by FAA office and often individual inspector. Neither the ELT or the transponder are "airworthiness" items. They are operational items that shouldn't have any effect on the issuance of the airworthiness certificate. The regulations specifically state that an ELT is not required for "flight testing", so by regulation it is not required until after the Phase 1 flight test is completed. However, most FAA inspectors seem to want to see it installed. Go figure. Transponder should be tested, but not necessarily before the airworthiness certificate is issued. It should not be operated until it's tested however.

I have never heard of an inspector asking to see test documentation for an ELT of any variety. That's a new one on me! There is no requirement anywhere in the FAA orders for such documentation, so the DAR is either just being extra cautious, or has been given the "word" from his supervising office. It's too bad that there is so much variation from office to office, and inspector to inspector, when we are all supposed to be singing from the same hymnal.

Thanks for the explanation. The DAR said in his email that the 91.207 check needed to be completed and signed off (didn't say by who). I don't see anything in there, or the Artex 345 manual, that I can't do myself. I did get a successful test report back from ACR (Artex 345) so the 406 test signal to satellite is working.

At some point I need to get the aircraft to a shop for the transponder test but I'm under the Philly Mode C Veil. I'm not sure how to make that happen given I need to fly to a shop to get the transponder tested and I presumably cant fly until the transponder is tested (I'm assuming the test needs to be performed while the transponder is in the airplane). Do you have any suggestions or clarification for that catch 22?

Thank you,

Peter
Peter Hoey
Sonex B SNB0021, N561PH, Taildragger, Aerovee Turbo, MGL MX1, First flight Dec 18, 2022
pfhoeycfi

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:48 am

I had done the ELT test per the manual and wrote it in the logbook. Also IIRC he wanted the battery date in the aircraft log.

Before my inspection I confessed to the DAR that my transponder wasn't inspected yet. He told me that was an operational issue, not an airworthiness issue. I am out of the Chicagoland Mode C veil so I flew for a while, but was able to get a tech to come to our airport and certify the transponder. That would be a great option for you, even if you had to pay a little more. The test sets are pretty portable.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby pfhoeycfi » Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:01 am

Bryan Cotton wrote:I had done the ELT test per the manual and wrote it in the logbook. Also IIRC he wanted the battery date in the aircraft log.

Before my inspection I confessed to the DAR that my transponder wasn't inspected yet. He told me that was an operational issue, not an airworthiness issue. I am out of the Chicagoland Mode C veil so I flew for a while, but was able to get a tech to come to our airport and certify the transponder. That would be a great option for you, even if you had to pay a little more. The test sets are pretty portable.

That sounds good. Are there any other entry's and endorsements that need to be in the logbook prior to inspection? As of now the logbook just has my name in it...

thanks,

peter
Peter Hoey
pfhoeycfi

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:18 am

My DAR gave me a template and here it is with my info. I copied this into the logbook, signed it and used my pilot number too. Print out the equipment list and tape it on the back cover or somewhere. If you can work with your DAR ahead of time it is really helpful.
Attachments
Waiex 191 Maintenance Record Entries.pdf
(27.73 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby pfhoeycfi » Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:43 am

Bryan Cotton wrote:My DAR gave me a template and here it is with my info. I copied this into the logbook, signed it and used my pilot number too. Print out the equipment list and tape it on the back cover or somewhere. If you can work with your DAR ahead of time it is really helpful.

perfect...

thanks,

peter
Peter Hoey
pfhoeycfi

Postby Sonex1517 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:09 am

Peter

Someone else may have said this and I missed it. You need to enter a condition inspection in your logbook. It’s required.

(Thank you Joe Norris for helping me with this process!)

I used the FSDO for my inspection and the paperwork was a huge part of the process. I asked the inspector what he wanted, made a list, and ensure it was well organized when he arrived.
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion